Friday, May 23, 2008

Name Your Homeplace Contest


As part of her Southern Reading Challenge, Maggie is having a Name Your Homeplace Contest. I'm not sure if my entry will count because my homeplace has a name already: Windy Poplars Farm. When I was a girl, one of my favorite books was Anne of Windy Poplars, from the Anne of Green Gables series. Our farm has a lot of poplars, and it is indeed windy up on this hill. Almost every day there is a breeze. After twenty-seven years, the name still delights me.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nan: What a lovely name for your farm. I might have guessed it came from Anne. When we visited England and Scotland, I loved reading the names on their cottages and homes.
    I am not sure just what I would name my house. We live so close to a theatre, perhaps I could call it "Theatre's View".

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice house name. The book has always been Anne of Windy Willows in the UK. I arrived home today to find two large branches of beech had blown down right in front of the garage. 'Windy Beeches' doesn't have much of a ring to it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to come up with a beautiful name like Windy Poplars for our homestead. The old part of our family's farm used to be called "Lazy Sons Farm" (my husband is 1 of 4 boys) but I'd like to think of something a little nicer and possibly tree related (we mostly have Maples)- I'd love to read the contest entries for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this sign Nan! I wish my home had such a lovely name.

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.