Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Today's poem by Walt Whitman

Out of May's Shows Selected
by Walt Whitman
published in The New York Herald, May 10, 1888


Apple orchards, the trees all cover'd with blossoms;
Wheat fields carpeted far and near in vital emerald green;
The eternal, exhaustless freshness of each early morning;
The yellow, golden, transparent haze of the warm afternoon sun;
The aspiring lilac bushes with profuse purple or white flowers.




Another poem by Whitman on Letters from a Hill Farm here.

8 comments:

  1. One of my favourite poets. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been too sure about Whitman - though I like that line about the exhaustless freshness - but I do love your photographs, and this one in particular. Such wonderful greens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt Whitman knew what he was talking about! What a lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monix, I need to read more Whitman. I loved this so much.

    Katherine, I haven't read him enough to have an opinion, but I do love this poem. I agree, those words are excellent, as well as 'aspiring' lilac bushes. Just perfect. Thank you for your kind words. And I wanted you to know, I just bought Troll Fell!

    Sherri, isn't it just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of Whitman . . . too much of a good thing sometimes . . . but I love, love, love this photo of him. I have a postcard of it that I sometimes use as a bookmark. Such expressive eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. J.G., I read somewhere that it was his favorite picture of himself. I so love it, as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very touched you bought my book, Nan - I do hope you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.