Thursday, May 27, 2010

Reading Habits meme

I saw this at Cornflower's blog this morning and here are her words about where it came from.
Here's a meme from Bookish NYC via Life must be filled up; do take it to your own blog or answer the questions in the comments on this post if you wish.

Do you snack while reading?
Not ever. When I eat alone in the house, I always read magazines.

What is your favourite drink while reading?
I don't drink while reading either.

Do you tend to mark your books while you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I never mark my books, though I enjoy reading markings when I buy used books. I just can't do it myself. I don't even dog-ear a page.

How do you keep your place? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book open flat?
Always a bookmark.

Fiction, non-fiction or both?
I enjoy non-fiction but lately have been reading much more fiction.

Do you tend to read to the end of a chapter or can you stop anywhere?
I can stop anywhere.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
I have never thrown a book. If it's a library book, I bring it back. If I've bought it, I donate it.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
Yes, usually.

What are you currently reading?
The Torso by Helene Tursten. Excellent but not for the faint-hearted, which I usually am, but can't seem to resist this author.

What is the last book you bought?
The Crime at Black Dudley by Margery Allingham; the first Albert Campion book.

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
Whenever and wherever I can. I just bought an incredibly comfortable chair and I've been spending a lot of time there.

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?
Both.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
There are so many.

How do you organise your books?
Absolutely no order whatsoever, except that my mysteries are all in the same area. I move my books around as I get new ones, but I always seem to know just where a certain title is.

Barbara's additional question: background noise or silence?
Complete silence.

16 comments:

  1. This is an interesting meme. I will do it later when I have time. I think it is interesting how people are so different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting, and fun, Lisa. It made me stop and think. I'll be over to see yours later on today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan, I mis-read one of your answers as "I can't stop anywhere". Many of us are similarly afflicted where books are concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a fun one, wasn't it? And I will add here that which I did not on my responses on my own blog: Music (instrumental not vocal) or complete quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cornflower, that's great!

    Karen, it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice answers! I did this meme a while back, and liked that it made me think about my reading habits. Or psychoses. Whatever you want to call them... *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I moderate a small online forum for bibliophiles, and we have come up with very similar threads about our reading habits, just not so nicely put together.
    So I may nick this and post it as a sort of questionnaire thread :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nan,
    Not to be a copy cat, but my answers were all similar to yours. I love music playing in my home....except for when I am reading as I find it distracting.
    My favourite book mark is the british:
    Keep calm and carry on!
    I am fussy about books and therefore do not allow food or drink near my books or that of my children. I hope I have taught them to respect books enough!
    And I would never hurl a book because I didn't like what the author said. I may quit reading it but never throw it....don't get that!(sounds like a temper tantrum to me:)
    And I use a dictionary! I love discovering new words.
    Fun meme!
    Thanks for sharing it!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Celi.a, it was so interesting to me. Things I hadn't given much thought to.

    Librarian, that's a great idea!

    Joanne, thanks for sharing your own answers! It was a fun meme.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like you, I need complete silence while reading. No music or tv in the background for me! And, I can stop anywhere, too. However, I do enjoy sipping a glass of wine or bourbon while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Les, I love the image of you sipping! I love those English libraries where there's a beautifully comfortable chair in front of the fireplace with a table on which is usually whisky. :<) I occasionally sip my cosmo as I read but I find it rather changes my perception. ;<)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this was a great meme, and it's been a great to way to find new reading blogs to visit (like yours!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for coming by and leaving a note, Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Audrey, if you come back... I just went to both your wonderful blogs, but I see no way to contact you or to leave a comment. Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  15. hope you love the Margery Allingham! The series gets better and better as it goes on, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Geranium Cat, as it turns out I'm listening right now to Mystery Mile, the second in the series. It seems to be okay to be reading it first, though Campion does make a reference to a Dudley dagger. I tried not to listen. :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.