Sunday, May 16, 2010

Buttermilk and Cornmeal Waffles


Buttermilk and Cornmeal Waffles

1 3/4 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs, separated
2 1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup melted butter

Grease the waffle iron with cooking spray, and turn it on.

Sift the dry ingredients together.
Beat the egg yolks well and combine with the buttermilk, and then add to the cornmeal mixture, beating until smooth.
Stir in the cooled butter.
Beat the egg whites stiff but not dry and fold into the mixture.

Pour batter into the hot iron, filling each compartment 2/3 full (about 1 tablespoon of batter in each will do this).
Cover and bake 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown on both sides.

This was a delicious early supper on this mid-May Sunday. We put maple syrup on top. Recipe makes four waffles.

10 comments:

  1. Looks like heaven and something my hubby and son would so enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time for me to get a waffle maker...looks so yummy!
    You and your buttermilk! You have me converted! Used it in my scone recipe the other day and thought of you:)
    Love it!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, Staci, and Joanne, this is a great recipe! Joanne, there's a picture of my waffle iron here:

    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.
    com/2007/04/tools-of-
    tradewaffles.html

    It was a gift from our son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of including cornmeal. What a nice crunch that must give the waffles. I love waffles and brinner! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you get real buttermilk? Or do you talk about the fluid they call buttermilk now days?
    Margaretha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karla, you're right. and what is 'brinner?'

    Em, I first wrote about buttermilk here:

    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.
    com/2010/03/buttermilk-
    pancakes.html

    It is as real as can be! Quite thick and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Sorry, the page you were looking for in the blog Letters from a Hill Farm does not exist."
    This is the message I get when I try your link.
    But real buttermilk is thin - isn't it? At least the kind I've seen, after you made your butter. I like it for baking, but not drinking - all the good stuff is supposed to stay in the butter.
    Margaretha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaretha, I just tried copying the whole address and pasting it into the address bar and it came right up. Weird. Anyhow, if you look over on the sidebar, and click on 'french toast, pancakes, waffles' the buttermilk pancakes will come up - which was my first adventure with buttermilk. Mine is thicker than milk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could send you some of this stuff, Margaretha - it's really great -whatever the adjective. :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.