Sunday, May 2, 2010

Rhubarb Sweetie

The rhubarb is growing so fast now that I realized I must use up what's left in the freezer. Today's treat is one from an old cookbook called Rodale's Naturally Delicious Desserts and Snacks. I no longer have the cookbook, but this recipe is a great favorite.

Rhubarb Sweetie

In a 7x11 or 8x8 greased pan, arrange:
3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb (I also add a cup of frozen strawberries just for fun!)

Mix together and drizzle over the top:
2 Tablespoons orange juice
1/4 cup honey

Dot with:
1 Tablespoon butter


Beat together:
1 egg
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons sour cream

In a separate bowl, mix together:
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Add dry mixture to egg mixture and spread gently over the rhubarb and strawberries.

Bake in a preheated 350° F. oven about 30 minutes or until nicely browned.

8 comments:

  1. Yummmm. We are getting ready to have some rhubarb too. I will try this. I don't think I will add strawberries though. I don't get too many of them so I want to savor every one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great with or without the strawberries, Lisa. All that honey sweetens the rhubarb nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that looks good....especially with some ice cream on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan, I love rhubarb! Your dessert looked absolutely yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hip Chick, Sherri, and Staci, it is a great dessert! There are more rhubarb recipes on the sidebar under 'fruit desserts' if you are interested. And more should be forthcoming as I use up the freezer rhubarb and begin cooking this year's crop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that honey does make it nice and sweet, Mary Lois!!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.