Thursday, May 27, 2010

Joanne's Rhubarb Coffee Cake

I've pretty much stopped picking rhubarb because I probably have enough in the freezer to last the months until the next crop. But that doesn't mean I can't make some desserts with the fresh rhubarb that's still growing great! When I saw Joanne's Rhubarb Coffee Cake recipe, I decided to make it right then! I had some heavy cream in the fridge for whipped cream, and I just bought sour cream yesterday. I picked the rhubarb, and then proceeded to put the ingredients together. Let's see, what did I do differently? You're right. I used butter instead of shortening. I also used my Sugar in the Raw for both brown and white sugars. And I had one cup of strawberries left in the freezer from last summer, so I threw them in too.

When our youngest child moved out, we got rid of our microwave. I never used it except to warm butter to bake with. Well, since it's been gone I just plan ahead and take the butter out of the refrigerator for a while before I want to bake. Because this was so spur of the moment, I had to melt the 1/2 cup butter, and then mix it with the sugar and egg. It worked out just fine.

This is a fantastic dessert, which we actually had before our supper tonight because we couldn't resist!


Joanne's Rhubarb Coffee Cake

1 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. shortening
1 egg
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. (8 oz.) sour cream
1 1/2 c. rhubarb, chopped

TOPPING:
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
1/2 c. pecans or walnuts, chopped
1 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. cinnamon

In mixing bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking soda and salt, and add alternately with the sour cream to the creamed mixture. Fold in rhubarb. Spread in greased 9 x 13 x 2 pan. Combine all topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes. Great served warm with vanilla ice cream.

11 comments:

  1. OMG...this looks so very yummy. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan,
    I have to admit, that I always bake with butter and have used it in this recipe as well. I posted the original recipe on my blog as so many still use margerine/shortening.
    Everything tastes better with butter...isn't that a slogan?
    So glad you liked it. Your photo looks decadent. Love what you added! So yum!
    Thanks for sharing and for your thumbs up!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw some rhubarb at the market yesterday and stood in front of it and pondered. I used to eat it raw, yes I did. But this sounds much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You find and share the very best recipes, Nan! Thanks so much for this one -- I love rhubarb in just about anything, but my younger daughter ADORES it, so this will be dessert during their next visit. :) Rhubarb...one of the many joys of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan, that cake looks yummy!! The recipe went in my recipe folder! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is, Diane!

    Joanne, didn't Julia say, 'with enough butter anything is good' :<) And thank YOU for this great recipe. I had it for breakfast today!

    Julie, there are lots of rhubarb recipes on the sidebar under fruit desserts! Maybe there's one you'll love.

    Nancy, you are so right!!

    Sherri, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a delicious looking dessert. I've been eating lots of rhubarb here in the UK, but this is one I'd love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rambling Fancy, isn't it just the best stuff! I'm still not able to leave a comment on your new blog, but I am enjoying reading anyway! What a perfect post your last one was. I've got to get the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cooked this today for Sunday dessert. It was delicious - many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nan- I'm Lesley's mom, and wanted to tell you that she gave me Major Pettigrew's Last Stand for my birthday. What a fun book! She told my you had recommended it, so I thank you. I hope the author will write more lovely stories for us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adele, I'm so pleased that you made it and that you took the time to come by and let me know. Thank you!

    Yay! Les's mom! Thanks so much for leaving me a note. I hope she writes more, too. I wouldn't mind a further look at the same folks. Maybe a little series.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.