Thursday, December 28, 2006

Today's cd/Nocturne



Charlie Haden/Nocturne/2001

There are five instrumental jazz albums which I play most often, and this is one of them. The others are James Carter's The Real Quietstorm, and Chasin' The Gypsy, Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, and the Zoot Sims Quartet's That Old Feeling.

Each time I hear Nocturne, I am amazed at the beauty of the music. I love every song. You may listen to (and buy) the cd here.

Leonardo Acosta writes in the liner notes:

...we should go back to the definition that Bird one day gave to bop, and it was no simple joke: he called it a "search for the pretty notes." In this new introspective voyage through time and the musical space of the Americas, which Charlie Haden undertakes in very healthy company, we can be certain at every instant that we are meeting beauty, elegance, and the peace that has always defined this great artist with so much constancy.

On this quiet, snowy and sometimes sunny day, we plan to do some reading, and Nocturne is the perfect musical companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.