Friday, May 7, 2010

Frosted Dream Bars

This recipe comes from Tom's sister, and it is one of my favorites. I love these crunchy bars with the orange frosting. This is May's installment in Margaret's boyfriend's birthday present.


Frosted Dream Bars

Mix together into a crumbly mass:
1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup flour
Pat into a 9 x 13 pan, covering it evenly.
Bake in a 350 F. oven for 10 minutes.
Set aside to cool.

Beat together:
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a separate bowl, mix together:
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Add and stir well:
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup chopped nuts

Add dry mixture to egg mixture and blend well.

Pour mixture onto the baked crust, spread evenly, and bake at the same temperature for 20 minutes.

Cool slightly. Use a sharp knife to cut into bars.

Note: the original recipe calls for brown sugar, but as I have mentioned, I use Sugar in the Raw for any sugar called for in a recipe.

Frosting:

Cream 1/4 cup soft butter with 2 cups confectioners' sugar.
Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and about 1/4 cup orange juice.

8 comments:

  1. Darn those look good. And I love the new main picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI - I had to offer up a recipe for a wedding shower - and I wrote up "Nan's Orange Cookies" especially since they have been a big hit two years at a row at the office party - I alter only one little thing - add a bit of orange zest to the icing. They are so good, Nan - I love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like abnother great recipe! You sure are making him a nice variety of treats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess there's no chance I can get some of these delivered, ASAP? No? I'll have to make them myself then. They look wonderful (as does your new header photo--ah, Spring).

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good and I have a feeling that it would go well with a nice steaming cup of joe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A home baked dessert-of-the-month has to be one of the best birthday presents ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake sounds delicious. I like the idea of mixing coconut with orange and nuts. I've really been enjoying your "boyfriend" series of recipes. I have to say that my favorite is still the Chocolate Chip Bars. I've made them several times because they are so easy. I always get rave reviews.

    I love your header picture with the sheep and the new Spring leaves on the tree. So, so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Thomas! Hope you get a chance to make them.

    Susan, oh, that's just wonderful! Thank you. I'm honored. Really.

    JG, I hope you do make them! It's a fun recipe to put together and to eat!

    Alison, he's such a great person - it's a joy giving him this present each month.

    Staci, or milk!

    JoAnn, it is fun to give and fun to get!

    Margot, they are really more cookie-like, bar-like than cake. There have been a couple months I didn't post about the dessert because the ones I baked were already posted on the blog! I've been trying to make new ones to add to the collection. Thank you about the blog header. It really is a peaceful scene in photo and in life.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.