Friday, December 18, 2009

Baked French Toast, recipe two

I made this yesterday for a breakfast-at-night supper, and it was fantastic.

Baked French Toast

Cut bread into 1-inch squares; enough to cover the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.

Lightly beat 2 eggs, 3 Tablespoons sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Stir in 2 1/4 cups milk.
Pour over bread, turning pieces to coat well.

At this point, you may stop, cover, and refrigerate over night, if you wish.

Preheat oven to 375º F.

Combine 1/2 cup flour, 6 Tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional).
Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Scatter 1 cup blueberries and/or strawberries (this time I used just strawberries) over the bread.
Sprinkle with the crumb mixture.

Bake about 40 minutes until golden brown.

I heated some maple syrup and poured it over the top. Out of this world delicious! You may see another 'Baked French Toast' in the recipes on the sidebar, but this one is a little different. I enjoy them both.

Three more days to sign up for the giveaway if you are interested!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds fantastic.
    What we call French Toast here is just bread dipped in beaten egg and fried. I have it with Marmite on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ours too. Actually beaten eggs and milk, sometimes with vanilla added. And I top that with maple syrup too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful! We are big french toast fiends - and our crowd would love this. Homemade applesauce is the usual treat. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Commonweeder, this is a particularly delicious and easy way to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in France, "French Toast" is called "Pain Perdu" Lost bread! named thus because it was a way of using stale bread which otherwise would have been lost, "perdu"
    Goodness though, yours looks sensational!!! I will try it during Christmas when calorie counting flies out of the window!

    ReplyDelete
  6. K, I love that name! Calorie counting flew out my window a long time ago, and hasn't come back in again. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is better with maple syrup poured on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right, Mary Lois! I was just watching Elf last night and he poured it on spaghetti and sauce. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to roll myself up in this French toast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Colleen, you are truly one-of-a-kind! And I thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.