Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Christmas poem

An old friend sent this poem on beautiful paper with holly leaves and berries on it as her Christmas card this year. I had never read it before but have since found it all over the internet, attributed to various authors. My friend had 'author unknown' so that's how I am posting it. It may not be a perfect piece of poetry, but I found the words very moving.

Christmas
Author Unknown

I have a list of folks I know, all written in a book

And every year at Christmas time I go and take a look.

And that is when I realize that these names are all a part,

Not of the book they're written in, but of my very heart.

For each name stands for someone who has crossed my path sometime

And in that meeting they've become a rhythm in a rhyme.

And while it sounds fantastic for me to make this claim,

I really feel that I'm composed of each remembered name.

And while you may not be aware of any special link

Just meeting you has changed my life a lot more than you think.

For once I've met somebody, the years cannot erase

The memory of a pleasant word or of a friendly face.

So never think my Christmas cards are just a mere routine

Of names on a Christmas list forgotten in between.

For when I send a Christmas card that is addressed to you,

It's because you're on the list of those I am indebted to.

For I am the total of the many folks I have met

And you are one of those I prefer not to forget.

And whether I have known you for many years, or for few

In some way you have had a part in shaping things I do

And every year when Christmas comes, I realize anew.

18 comments:

  1. OH THAT IS A WONDERFUL POEM! One to be copied and added to a Christmas Card! Are you as excited as me for Christmas! I am getting very excited! 2 more days! (sigh) BIG SIGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is perfectly lovely. Thanks so very much for sharing it. I really needed to hear it today. It's kind of a blue Christmas. Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely poem!! Thanks so much for sharing it!!

    Merry Christmas Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone wrote this as a heart felt sentiment. I think it is beautiful. Thanks so much for bringing this lovely poem to our attention. I hope you and yours are having a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, Kay, Staci, and Lisa, thanks so much for taking time out of your busy days to leave a note about the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. By the way, you're on my list. :) Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely and just what I needed to read.

    Thank you for a wonderful blog and joyous holiday blessings to you,

    Sharon Lovejoy

    (going to list you on my blog roll!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, a very Happy Christmas Nan, and thank you for your nourishing and entertaining blog, all year round.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas, Nan! Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just swinging by to wish you a Merry Christmas, Nan. I meant to tell you that I finally managed to catch _Ms. Pettigrew Lives for a Day_ (the movie). It was only because of you that I knew to watch it. One of 2009's little blessings. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carole and Book Psmith, I thank you both so much, and wish you the same (though late!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. KSV, I'm glad you liked it. I liked the book, not the film. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wiki says the author is Helen Steiner Rice, whom I do not know. Other examples of her work bear this out.

    I'm still disappointed you didn't like the movie Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day--I found it charming and was captivated from beginning to end. On the other hand you like the re-imagined Sherlock Holmes! Haven't seen it yet, but shall rent eventually. Saw It's Complicated this afternoon and found it sweet and funny--typically Nancy Meyers, whom I LOVE.

    Happy New Year, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary Lois, I found her name, and also Shelby Hairston Pilkington, and often it was listed as unknown or anonymous.

    Movie and book taste is so personal- so mysterious - that I am often surprised by what I do and don't like!

    And the same to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, well, even the Internet is wrong sometimes, or fuzzy anyway. I never heard of either of those poets.

    Think I'll steal the year-end-blog meme for a post tomorrow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's very true, Mary Lois. I'll enjoy your meme.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.