Friday, January 2, 2009

Today's poem - Good Hours by Robert Frost

Good Hours
by Robert Frost

I had for my winter evening walk -
No one at all with whom to talk,
But I had the cottages in a row
Up to their shining eyes in snow.

And I thought I had the folk within:
I had the sound of a violin;
I had a glimpse through curtain laces
Of youthful forms and youthful faces.

I had such company outward bound.
I went till there were no cottages found.
I turned and repented, but coming back
I saw no window but that was black.

Over the snow my creaking feet
Disturbed the slumbering village street
Like profanation, by your leave,
At ten o'clock of a winter eve.

10 comments:

  1. Perfect.
    Was it Robert Frost who also wrote a lovely poem that ended 'but I have miles to go before I sleep'. I seem to remember this from my schooldays.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem...
    I could picture him walking in the cold snow looking at the cottages with his peaceful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is indeed, and though that may be his most famous, there are loads more I like even better. If you type his name into my blog search, you'll see some others. And the same to you, Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay, it's one of my favorite things to walk by a house with the lights on and imagine the lives being lived inside.
    Karin, it's true, and he did not have an easy, happy life. There was much sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I ever miss this one? I thought I had read all of Frost's poems! Maybe I read it in the summer, when it was harder to think about the sonw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, I'm always finding new-to-me ones. And I find something new in the familiar ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. His poetry is simply wonderful, isn't it, Les?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for putting this poem in your delightful blog. I had not read it in ages--it is rarely anthologized or reprinted--so I am all the more grateful that you've included it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sunt lacrimae rerum, I'm so very pleased you liked it.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.