Monday, January 26, 2009

Muffin Monday/Poppy Seed Muffins


Poppy Seed Muffins
from Scratch Made Easy at Adair Country Inn by Judy Whitman

Preheat oven to 375º F.
Grease muffin tins.

Mix together:
2 cups flour
1/4 cup poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

In the bowl of the electric mixer, cream:
1/2 cup softened butter
3/4 cup sugar

Beat in:
2 eggs

Blend in:
3/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 Tablespoons lemon juice (called for 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, which I didn't have)
zest of one lemon

Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling them about 3/4 full.
Bake about 20 minutes.
Cool 5 minutes in pan before removing them.

I love lemon, sour cream, and poppy seeds so I was quite sure I'd like these muffins, and of course I do. They are really wonderful. We've having them with Louise's Soup which I changed a bit tonight. When I sautéed the onions, I added some frozen corn and zucchini, and left out the garlic. Still delicious and light with just a little different taste.


13 comments:

  1. Nan, the muffins sound great! I love lemon and poppy seed, so I'm already in love!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those muffins look wonderful and hot soup really hits the spot here in Michigan where the temps are still below zero!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Staci, it's 4 below as I write this at 8:30 pm! The supper was terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are my favorite kind of muffins. I've never made them from scratch, so I'll have to give your recipe a try! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow - muffins with every thing I really like as part of the ingredients list! I'm definitely trying these.

    Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Les and Bridget- they couldn't be easier to make, and the taste is fantastic. Just the ticket to go with a light soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a batch last night and they are almost all gone now. Delicious - thankyou so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, thanks for letting me know. I'm so pleased you tried them, and that you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog, and have happily added it to my google reader. I love the name Muffin Monday...I love muffins and I will definitely try this recipe. I couldn;t find the soup recipe...is it here on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, thanks for coming by. You can get to the soup by clicking 'Louise's Soup.' You'll arrive at a page which looks like it is another muffin recipe, but if you scroll down a bit, you'll see the soup recipe too.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.