Monday, January 5, 2009

Muffin Monday - Apple Cranberry Muffins




I found this recipe nine years ago on the Prince Edward Island, Canada - Island Christmas site. My notes from then say, "first made 12/21/99 - delicious!" And they are. As you may have noticed on the sidebar recipes, I am very fond of cranberries. I think, in fact, that they are my favorite baking fruit. I love strawberries and blueberries and raspberries for fresh eating or mixing with yogurt, but for baking it is cranberries that are number one in my recipe book.

Apple Cranberry Muffins

1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup melted butter

1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen) mixed with 2 Tablespoons flour (don't need this much flour)
2 Tablespoons sugar (for tops)

Sift together dry ingredients.
Combine egg, milk, applesauce, and melted butter, mix well, and add to dry mixture.
In a small bowl toss 2 Tablespoons flour with a cup of cranberries, and then fold them into the mix.

Spoon batter into greased muffin cups. Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons sugar on the tops.
Bake in preheated 400º F. oven for 20-25 minutes.
Note: the original recipe called for a mix of sugar and cinnamon on top, and I left out the latter.

8 comments:

  1. yum

    do you have any recipes for bread or muffins using pomegranates? I could probably just substitute pomegranate seeds for cranberries. You think?

    I'm reading Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran. The book includes lots of delicious sounding recipes for Persian Cooking, but, alas, most containing meat (primarily lamb) and/or loads and loads of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those muffins look delicious, and I can't resist this opportunity to brag this little fact- Wisconsin grows more cranberries than any other state and also grows more than half the entire world's supply! Sometime check out the official website wiscran.org for lots of great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this "favorite baking fruit" bit. It reminds me of early days with my husband when he would pick favorite things in odd categories; i.e., "what's the best wind instrument?" His answer: "oboe," or sometimes "French horn." I like cranberries too, although I don't know if I would go as far as to say they are my _favorite_ baking fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I don't, Janice. I don't have any idea how to use them either. I bought a pomegranate once, and I did like the seeds though. :<)
    Hey, Alison, who knew? I'd bet most people think it is the cranberry bogs of Massachusetts. Of course, in New England those are the ones in the stores. There's even an organic brand called Jonathan's. I'll go look at the recipes. If they include cranberries, I'm happy.
    KSV W., I'd like to know some of the other odd categories. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cranberries too and this recipe sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing this, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, Kay. Drop by and let me know if you make them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I posted a recipe on my blog yesterday for Cranberry muffins that use leftover cranberry sauce. :) Yours look like just the thing for a cold, wintry night...with a cup of tea, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great minds and great names, again, Nancy!!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.