Sunday, January 4, 2009

Chocolate Fudge


I've never mastered (or tried more than twice) to make candy using a thermometer and figuring out about soft-ball and hard-ball stages, so I was thrilled to come upon this recipe when my kids were little and we had a microwave. Now the former have grown up and moved out, and we got rid of the latter, and I make this just as easily and almost as quickly using the electric stove oven. It is out of this world delicious and chocolatey. You may also include a cup of chopped walnuts, which I omitted this time because some of the fudge is going to my daughter and her boyfriend who are, in her words in the cell phone text, "a no nutty couple." :<)

Chocolate Fudge

In a greased baking dish, mix together:

1 pound confectioners sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk

Put 1/2 cup butter on top, and heat in a medium oven until the butter melts.
Remove from the oven, and beat gently until nice and smooth.
Add nuts, if desired.
Spread into 8x8 or 7x11 pan which is greased with butter.
Put in refrigerator for an hour, or in freezer for 20-30 minutes.
Cut into squares.
Store in refrigerator.

13 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Nan! This fudge sounds delicious and super easy! I think I'm going to give it a try this week. It sounds perfect for late afternoon snacks.
    Joanne
    (And thank you for your nice comment and wishes on my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Help! Do you know what 'confectioner's sugar' is in British English? We have Granulated (i.e. ordinary); Caster (fine); Icing (powdery); and a few other more obscure ones - mostly brown - but don't call any of them confectioner's sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound easy and delicious. I'm tempted to try it despite needing to lose weight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like nuts by themselves or in a salad or pasta dish, but I've never cared for them in any kind of dessert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll love it, Joanne and Margaret!

    Scriptor S., it is icing sugar. You may see a picture here:
    http://www.dominosugar.com/Product.aspx?id=8

    Les, I love nuts in brownies and fudge, but this tastes great without them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I leave all of this kind of cooking to my Sister. She is good at it. I on the other hand don't have the patience for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, it barely takes any patience, and what a great result. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the first time I made fudge as a kid...it was from a recipe on the jar of marshmallow fluff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. JoAnn, that's great! Do you ever make it these days?

    ReplyDelete
  10. A pound of confectioner's sugar....I'm in!!

    That looks yummy and it does sound pretty easy, especially for those of us that are cooking impaired!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Staci, you'll love it! Let me know if you try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't made fudge in ages (at least 10 years). I've been making chocolate truffles from an old recipe found in Chocolatier magazine instead. Now that you've got me thinking about it though, I'll make some later this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, truffles! I have a great recipe a friend gave me, which I should post sometime. Let me know if you try this easy recipe or if you make your 'fluff' fudge!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.