Monday, January 7, 2008

Today's poem - A Way to a Happy New Year by Robert Brewster Beattie

A Way to a Happy New Year
by Robert B. Beattie

To leave the old with a burst of song;
To recall the right and forgive the wrong;
To forget the things that bind you fast
to the vain regrets of the year that’s past;

To have the strength to let go your hold
of the not worthwhile of the days grown old:
To dare go forth with a purpose true,
To the unknown task of the year that’s new;

To help your brother/sister along the road,
to do his work and lift his load;
To add your gift to the world’s good cheer,
is to have and to give a Happy New Year.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Nan, this is indeed wonderful. I'm going to print it out and post it on our refrigerator as a reminder. Thank you for posting it!

    I wish you all the best in this new year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thank you for such a nice comment. I think those words are just great. And same to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely words, ones I shall not forget for a long time! I was wondering what to write in a New Year's card to a friend and you have supplied the answer! Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, I cannot imagine how you ever found this posting, but I am so very glad you did. I love those words, and am happy you do as well. Thanks for taking the time to leave a note for me.

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.