Friday, December 22, 2006

Happy Winter

On this first full day of winter, I have a rhyme going through my head.

Happy Winter, rise and shine,
I love the early morning time,



It comes from a book we got for our daughter on her first Christmas 24 years ago.




This is a little gem done completely in poetry, all about a mom and her two daughters as they live the winter days. The pictures in the house are wonderful, and so evocative of a happy, real life. Note the laundry basket on the kitchen floor while the mom is cooking breakfast.



We see views of outdoor life as well.



Outside - It's cold! Wind stings my nose!
Happy Winter, shout and laugh!
I'll be the first to stomp a path.

On another day, it's:

Happy Winter, time to bake
Some really yummy kind of cake,
So Mama flips through recipes
Just like she does for company
And reads them all - her favorite ones
Are Sunshine, Marble, Angel, Crumb,
But we pick Fudge, and no nuts, please -
Now tie on aprons, roll up sleeves.



Then, as in most children's picture books, there is the bedtime ritual.



Happy Winter, evening time
I like how little star-specks shine
Or blink and sparkle cheerfully-
They almost seem to wink at me.

And now switch on the bedside light
To shoo away the dark of night
We read until we yawn, and then




I so loved reading books to my children about contented, happy lives; stories that mirrored their own daily routines and joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.