Friday, December 8, 2006

December 8



I didn't hear about it on the day itself. It was on the morning of December 9, 1980, as I was walking downstairs to the kitchen, that the lovely, familiar voice of Boston's public radio program, Morning Pro Musica, Robert J. Lurtsema told the listening world that John Lennon had been killed the night before. I sat right down on the stair, unable to proceed, sobbing. Wasn't it just a short time before I had to pull my car over and park so I could hear this wonderful new song John and Yoko were singing called (Just Like) Starting Over? How could this be real? I wanted to be with all those people in NYC. I couldn't believe how the world around me hadn't stopped; that there were actually many people living their lives as if nothing had happened, and weren't even talking about him. I wanted to be with others who understood the importance of this man in our lives.

As I tried to find the song to post here, I came upon a very moving tribute to him. A little piece of art at youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.