Thursday, July 16, 2009

Two Bean Salad

Recently we visited some friends and they made this salad for us. It is absolutely delicious!

Two Bean Salad

Mix together:
15 oz. can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
15 oz. can white northern beans
pint container of cherry or grape tomatoes
basil leaves
arugula leaves (I happen to have some because the same friends gave me an arugula plant)

Sauté garlic in olive oil. You may put the garlic through a press, or mince it small, or chop it in larger pieces.
Drizzle over bean mixture and stir.

My notes:
I soaked 1 cup dried garbanzo beans overnight, and this morning cooked them in the crockpot along with 1 cup dried cannellini beans. I drained the beans after they were cooked.
I sprinkled a bit of salt over the mixture. My guess is that canned beans may have salt added.
The amount of garlic and olive oil is up to the cook.
And again, this is outstanding. We are having it for supper with fresh bread, and strawberries with cocoa whipped cream.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for your advice, Nan. I really appreciate it. Art happens to love bean salads. I'll jot this recipe down. Thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be interested to hear what he thinks. And you are really very welcome, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great idea, I've banked this one away! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherri, wish you could've stopped by tonight- we have a lot left over. :<) If you try it, and if you think of it, I'd love to know how it turned out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yummy. I'll have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kind of lunch, Nan. Thanks for the recipe, I'll be using it when the family come to stay next week. Your English readers will know arugula leaves as rocket, one of my favourite salad leaves as it is so peppery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nan, it really is!

    Maureen, I had just read that it is called 'rocket!' I'm quite sure I've read the name in British books over the years because the name was familiar. It is a great tasting salad green. This dish is very filling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will let you know, I am copying the receipe right now! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, good Linda! I love feedback on recipes. (a little pun)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love bean salads, thanks for the heads up! I will definitely be adding this one to the menu! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for coming by to check it out, Carol! I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.