Monday, July 27, 2009

Library Loot/July 27



Library Loot is an event hosted by Eva at A Striped Armchair and Marg at Reading Adventures.






I can't believe it but I got more books from the library even though I haven't read all the ones I got on July 15. I've finished one, and am almost finished another, but there are still two I haven't even opened yet. Those books came from the library I visit most often in the next town. The ones in this post are from another library a bit further away. It has an upper balcony full of old, old books which amazingly they let patrons borrow.

Though the author of Mother Carey's Chickens says, Riggs, (her second husband's name) it is actually the more familiar, Kate Douglas Wiggin (her first husband's name), the woman who wrote Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (1903). I read that book a few years ago, and wrote in my book journal:

This was wonderful and as fresh as if it were just written. It felt a bit like Anne Of Green Gables and Pollyanna. Rebecca's family is very poor, and she is given the chance for an education by going to live with two old maiden aunts. The young girl has a wonderful, cheerful outlook on life. I have a sense that all these books were written about a girl who could be an example to the reader. She isn't without troubles and problems, yet she remains steadfast and optimistic. Even as a grown woman, I found myself learning from her. Well written with memorable, real characters.

Mother Carey's Chickens is still available to buy, and is even on Kindle! But oh, this edition (which I think is a first) is just lovely. A lot of these old books in the balcony have little reviews pasted in the front which tell a bit about the book.

The second book from the balcony is a fourth printing in the year of publication -1948- of Graham Greene's The Heart of the Matter. I've been meaning to read his work for a long time. I've seen some movies based on Greene books, The Third Man,The End of the Affair and The Quiet American. It's time to go to the source.

And here is the whole stack. The woman in the picture is my Grammie as a young woman. She gave it to me when I turned sixteen, the age I believe she is in the photograph.

The Robert B. Parker is because we've just watched all the available Jesse Stone televised versions from Netflix which were excellent. The Penderwicks books have been recommended by several fellow bloggers, as has The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Will I read all these books? Time will tell. But I sure enjoy seeing them piled up on my 'library table.'

Addendum: Tom read the Parker book. I began The Penderwicks and didn't care for it. I started the Graham Greene but wasn't in the mood. It seemed sort of gloomy. I was sure I would read Mother Carey's Chickens but after I started it, I got into some other books and put it aside. Maybe I'll pick it up another time. The only one I read is the Selznick book, and how I loved it.

10 comments:

  1. The Heart of the Matter -- Good stuff!!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to see if I can find a copy of Mother Carey's Chickens.
    I've had the Penderwick books on my list to read for way too long. Really should get to them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lezlie, I was quite sure I remembered you reading this!

    Jeanette, it really sounds so wonderful. I'll be interested to hear if you read it (and the Penderwicks books).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even on a Kindle? Really? I am just so frustrated with my Kindle. I think I must be a very eccentric reader (and joyfully so), but the Kindle seems to be mainstream most of the way. I tussle with regret, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. June, I went searching amazon a while ago for kindle titles to see if I might like it. I thought it might be good for the huge books, biographies and such, but none of the ones I wanted was available. No biog. of Wodehouse or Churchill; not even Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. There was quite a bit of Wodehouse, but honestly mostly the type of books I like just aren't there, so I decided it isn't for me. This is the same frustration I had with audio books. Once I had read the older ones I was interested in, there weren't any more. Hooray for 'eccentric readers!' And I am so, so sorry you are 'tussling.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have an outrageously huge stack of books going right now as well. Liz has just read Hugo Cabret twice. She's not an avid reader yet and liked this. Hels loved the Penderwicks, but I haven't read them.

    I'm deep into books on the African American experience in the south right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you know there's a movie of Mother Carey's Chickens? Good book!

    You always give the best book recommendations. I write them down on my list and try to find them in the local library. Yours is much better than mine for they rarely have them! Guess I'll just have to buy them. Darn! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, thanks so much for telling me your girls have liked the books. I'm reading The Penderwicks as soon as I finish Olive Kitteridge.

    Debbie, I did see there is an old movie - but of course it isn't on dvd. :<( But I also read that Disney's Summer Magic is based on the book, and I love that movie. I've watched it a couple times, and have it in my Netflix queue to watch again. Can you use interlibrary loan through your library??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been indulging in some library books myself. We'll see if I actually read any of them!

    Did you read my review for The Pendewicks? I'll be anxious to hear what your think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Les, I did read it, though didn't comment. You may recall I actually bought it a couple years ago, but later gave it to the library thinking it wasn't for me. But your review and others have stayed in my head and when I saw it at the library I thought why not give it another try. What library books did you get my dear??

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.