Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Aisling's Banana Oat Scones

This recipe comes from Aisling at The Quiet Country House. Here are her words. I'll add my changes afterward.

My original recipe for scones came from a book called The Joy of Snacks. I don't remember the book and may have to track it down sometime to refresh my memory. I think it was borrowed from the library. I have modified the recipe so much over time, that it is quite different than the original (which contains egg and raisins, and does not use bananas.)

Ingredients:

(scant) 2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated (no trans-fats) margarine, melted
1/3 cup soy milk (plain or vanilla)
1 ripe mashed banana

Directions:

Combine dry ingredients; set aside. Blend mashed banana, melted margarine, and soy milk until fairly smooth. Add in dry ingredients and mix just until moistened. Shape dough to form ball; pat out on lightly flours surface to form 8 inch circle. Cut into 12 wedges (scones); bake on oiled baking sheet at 425 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.

Note: I go "skimpy" on the flour at the start and reserve some to add at the end if needed. Not all bananas are created equal! I will (carefully) add more if the dough is too sticky to shape and cut.

Nan's notes:

I used 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1 cup white.
1/2 cup butter (always butter for me, you already know!)
1/3 cup cow's milk
I used 2 bananas, and I added the juice of half a lemon just because I love lemon.
I didn't have to shape them because I have this adorable mini scone pan which I greased with cooking spray.
Instead of 8-10 minutes, I'll bet they took half an hour to cook. I have no idea why - a hot, humid day perhaps?

I cut them in half and spread them with butter, and wow, are they ever good! My thanks to my friend, Aisling.

7 comments:

  1. How fun that you still have this recipe on hand! I always have to carefully weed the dairy out of recipes that I bake here fortwo reasons: one vegan in the bunch, and several lactose intolerant family members! How nice that you enjoyed these and posted them here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound good and maybe not too unhealthy.-Maybe I can talk my wife into making them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to let you know I posted it, and then I thought it would be more fun if you found it! Thanks again, Aisling.

    Larry, not a bit unhealthy and very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great recipe. Just a thought about the baking times - when you upped the fat content with the butter and milk and also the additional banana, it may have increased the time needed in the oven. The banana also added more moisture.

    Then again, sometimes you just have to go by look and feel rather than by recipe times. Ovens can be as unique as the people who use them!

    Now ain't that wonderful... :)

    - J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, you are brilliant culinarily speaking! Seriously, that's a great thought and I'm sure you are right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nan,
    I finally had a chance to make these scones, and they were great -- everyone enjoyed them this morning! I made two smaller rounds instead of one big one (adjustment for high altitude baking) and added a sprinkle of nuts on top. Yum!
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeanne, I'm so happy that you made them, and that you took the time to leave a note. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.