Saturday, June 9, 2007

Two more quotes du jour/Bob and Gladys

I read such a nice posting over at atelier.

What was it like when we didn't have weather forecasts
and one just woke up in the morning and faced the sky
and looked and listened for what the weather would be
like that day?


and it reminded me of an email I sent to some friends last year.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Bob Dylan
Subterranean Homesick Blues
1965

Can you remember the days when we did not have radio weather reports every hour? In some ways it was better. We enjoyed the sun when it shone, and went our heedless way on picnics. Now we hover. If rain is predicted, we rush out and cover the chaise longue, move things in. Fly with laundry. Then maybe the report is wrong and the sky is blue as willowware platters the rest of the day.

Suppose the radio predicted our personal fortunes in the same way! Who could iron with a calm mind on Monday knowing that on Tuesday she would come down with a virus! Of course, you could get ready–do odd jobs rapidly. But on the whole, the future is better as a closed book of which we take one page at a time.
Gladys Taber
Stillmeadow and Sugarbridge
1953

3 comments:

  1. I think I am also a sparrow! I love my home, but I was also born in July and am a Cancer!!
    I love the term, "as blue as a willow ware sky!" That says it perfectly. I grew up on the east coast of Canada, and there were a lot of terms for skies. One I remember was a 'mackrel sky' - it had little blobs of clouds, just like the colouring on the side of the mackrel fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would Lewis & Clark have gone on their great expedition to explore the west if they'd had the Weather Channel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say that we probably know way too much about a lot of things today or we have the capacity to find out. I love the fact that we have the internet and I can find out about books to be published, being published, have been published, etc. However, my life often feel rushed and stressed. My TBR pile is out of control and I feel stressed even about trying to manage reading and what I should be getting to becasue new things are coming out. I think we feel we need to maximize the potential for every moment. Is this what our technology has gained us? Love the quote, Nan.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.