Monday, June 25, 2007

Book passage/Stillmeadow Sampler


"Summertime, an' the livin' is easy," goes one of George Gershwin's songs. And so it is. Not late summer when the vegetables come in, but June. There is work enough, but the pressures of ripening crops is not yet upon us. Days are hot but nights cool, with the moon tossed into the sky like a silver ball. It is a time between the excitement of spring and the fulfillment of harvest. A time to picnic and to drive over the hills to look at June in the next valley. A time in the evening to read, or play Beethoven's Ninth, or to work on a jigsaw puzzle. In a curious way, June is like January. You let Nature take her course and relax the pressures of your life.
Gladys Taber, Stillmeadow Sampler

3 comments:

  1. aaahhh June...I love anthing Gershwin and Beethoven's 9th is one of the chimes on our clock.

    Great post, Nan!

    Pat
    Back Porch Musings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pat. I thought it was so true, the comparison between June and January.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Nan, that is the neatest comparison ~ June and January. Isnt' Gladys the neatest looking lady? I would love to have had her as a neighbor. I have only ever found one book of hers in a used book shop in England. I stumbled on it by chance and was so pleased. Do they ever reprint her books, I wonder. Do you have many of them?

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.