Saturday, June 5, 2010

Spring Salad


This is a variation on a recipe I cut out of Martha Stewart Living magazine last year. Today is the first time I've made it and it won't be the last. My gosh, this was delicious! And about as good for you as anything could be! I'm going to leave the amounts of ingredients up to you. We made ours separately in our own bowls but you could make a big batch and divide it later. The grape tomatoes and basil were both organic and locally grown in a greenhouse, and the chives were from the garden. I didn't toss the ingredients before taking the photograph so you could see the individual items.

Late Spring Salad

Put garlic cloves through a press, or mince, and heat very gently in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Pour into a small bowl and let cool maybe 10 minutes.
Chop tomatoes (grape, cherry, or big) and put in bowl.
Chop basil and chives and put on top of tomatoes.
Drizzle the garlic and olive oil over the top.
Sprinkle on salt and pepper as desired.

11 comments:

  1. That looks divine!! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...this sounds so good and so simple which seems to be the name of the cooking game in the heat we are having. But it is the strawberries on your header which got my youngest's attention:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Nan... this just makes my mouth water! The strawberries in the header photo look luscious, too. We should have some around here very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan sounds wonderfully healthy too.
    I love your strawberry header!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious - I love salads of all sorts. The strawberries in your header photo are so gorgeous! Please ship some down to my market where they are all rather sad looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to try this but alas, really good tomatoes won't be for another month! But I could eat this every day --

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nan,
    I just love your home and garden 'tour'!
    Great looking salad. Reminds me of a conversation I had with my 5yo nephew the other day as I served him salad with tomatoes, which he politely put aside. I asked him if he didn't like tomatoes and his response was this:
    "my tastebuds haven't developed yet for tomatoes..." so cute!
    Thanks for the peek,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. And low points, Staci! I used 4 t. olive oil to sauté the garlic, so only 2 points per person for the salad!

    Book Psmith, both the salad and the strawberries are delicious and so fresh after the long winter!

    JoAnn, they are just so wonderful!

    Julie, thank you! Such a great time of year around here for food.

    Susan, are your strawbs local?? Ours are from a place about an hour away. They couldn't be sweeter. I don't put any sugar on - just eat them as they are.

    Martha, that's true here also, but these tomatoes were grown in a greenhouse so they are early. And really very good, too. I'd love to have a greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. not local as yet - we should be getting our farmer's market up and running soon - I always look forward to that. The grocery store fruit just doesn't cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, I agree. I bought some store strawberries the week before the local ones came, and though they were pretty and though they were organic, they didn't have much flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Joanne! I love your nephew's words. I never ate tomatoes until I was an adult -even in sauce! (I deleted the other comment since I had received this one, but hadn't had a chance to publish and respond to it)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.