Thursday, May 28, 2009

Today's poem - Why I Wake Early by Mary Oliver


Why I Wake Early
by Mary Oliver

Hello, sun in my face.
Hello, you who make the morning
and spread it over the fields
and into the faces of the tulips
and the nodding morning glories,
and into the windows of, even, the
miserable and the crotchety -

best preacher that ever was,
dear star, that just happens
to be where you are in the universe
to keep us from ever-darkness,
to ease us with warm touching,
to hold us in the great hands of light -
good morning, good morning, good morning.

Watch, now, how I start the day
in happiness, in kindness.

From: Why I Wake Early

Another Mary Oliver poem here.

11 comments:

  1. A beautiful and inspiring poem...
    I should print it and hang it from my bathroom mirror :)
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome! You might want to buy this book of poems; it is really wonderful. You may click on the link at the end of the poem to read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karin, I just love this poem, and esp. her use of crotchety. Wasn't it the perfect word? The poem makes me want an east facing bedroom with big windows. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Mary Oliver's poetry, thanks for those two. Your header pic is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cait, Pamela, and Susan - I'm so glad you liked it. And Cait, thanks about the header.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of Mary Oliver's books that I don't have. I can see it is a must have. A great way to start each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, I think you'll like the book - a lot about the natural world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my favorite of her poems. And guess what time I woke this morning? 4:00 am! The house is still and I'm slowly sipping my hot coffee. I hate to rush around before work so my sleepless night is turning out to be a gift in disguise. I'll nap this afternoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Les, it's hard to stay asleep with the birds singing so early! Plus it is light around here at around 4:30. Of course, I manage to go back to sleep since I don't have a job to get to. :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.