Sunday, May 10, 2009

Quote(s) du jour for Mother's Day

Grown don't mean nothing to a mother. A child is a child. They get bigger, older, but grown? What's that suppose to mean? In my heart it don't mean a thing.
Toni Morrison, Beloved

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs ... since the payment is pure love.
Mildred B. Vermont

Even now, if I have news, or something happens to me - good or bad, I just never feel like it's actually happened until I tell all of you.
Nora Walker, the mother on Brothers & Sisters talking to her adult children.

A mother is as happy as her saddest child.
Pat B.

Well, isn't that always the way! No sooner do you get your children nicely pigeonholed than they turn around and surprise you.
Anne Tyler, Back When We Were Grownups

... her mother, whose face she saw sometimes at night, in her dreams, as if she had never gone away, and who was still there, as we often think of the dead, in the background like a cloud of love, against which weather we conduct our lives.
Alexander McCall Smith, Friends, Lovers, Chocolate

A friend comes with all these strings - when you're a mother you just love somebody.
The Molly Ringwald character in the movie, For Keeps explaining why she wants her mother to be her mother, not her friend.

Take off your coat, honey, or you'll melt like a thermometer.
The mother speaking to her daughter in the movie, Home for the Holidays

You may find another post on Mother's Day quotes here.

12 comments:

  1. That first quote really resonated with me. I caught myself calling my nearly 40 yr old son that stands 6'4" tall "baby" today. I bet he about cracked up to himself on the other end of the line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet it made him feel much loved, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mother is as happy as her saddest child....
    That's so true, but then the others equally hit home.
    All of them... too true.
    Have a wonderful Mother's Day, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay, thanks. I thought they pretty much express that great love, but my most favorite is the last one. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderfully appropriate quotes for today...and every day!
    Thank you, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a pleasure reading all these quotes.
    One of my favorites is: A Mother Understands What A Child Does Not Say - Jewish Proverb

    Nan, hope your Mother's Day has been joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I know that this is not true for everyone, I believe that:
    Nobody loves you like your mother does.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the quotes. But, home for the holiday is one of my favorite movies of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nan:

    These are some wonderful quotes. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post, Nan. What a treat you gave all of us today; thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun to think of all the wonderful mothers in literature (as well as our own mothers) on this day. How about Marmee in Little Women and the mother in I Remember Mama and the wise mother in National Velvet and on and on...I'll think about this for days and remember so many more.

    Thanks for these great quotes Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to each of you for coming by and leaving a note. Hope you all had a great day.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.