Monday, May 18, 2009

Banana Cake


No, I don't have bananas growing out in the yard right next to the rhubarb. But I did have three overly ripe bananas on the counter. Tom is the fresh banana eater in the family, and I found a note next to them saying, 'sorry I meant to eat them. maybe you could make muffins or a cake.' Do you suppose that's why he didn't eat them - because he wanted a cake? :<) Well, I went looking through my cake recipes this morning and found this one from an old online recipe list from six years ago. I've never made it, but will certainly do so again, and often. This is a simple and delicious cake. Our daughter, Margaret, and her boyfriend were over for a spaghetti supper, and we all loved it.


Banana Cake
2/3 cup melted butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

1 cup milk
3 ripe bananas

1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Grease 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
Cream butter and sugar.
Add the eggs and vanilla.
Mash bananas and add.
In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
Add to the butter mix alternately with the milk.
Bake for about 45 minutes.

Frosting:
8 ounce package of softened cream cheese, beat together with 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
The little dots in the frosting are because I use Sugar in the Raw.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely yummy! I make what is affectionately labeled, "Nana Banana Bread," in my family. This cake, however, is a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this receipe; my daughter is always looking for quick and easy receipe's to try out. And I will definitely make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very good. I have a recipe for banana cake which uses a cake mix. I'm going to try yours though..I happen to have bananas getting over-ripe in my fruit bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely made a copy of your Banana Cake recipe! It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan, I just love that name!

    Jennifer, she will love it!

    Hip Chick, I can't imagine any mix ever being easier and faster or more delicious to make!

    Sherri, hope you can make it soon in your new kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love banana bread, so I'm sure to try this recipe.
    I think the cream cheese icing, tops it off just perfect !
    Thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always use confectioners' sugar, and this time made the frosting with just the regular sugar. It was so good. I have used this frosting recipe as a dip for apple slices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tanks for this recipe! because I just happen to have 3 ripe bananas and a potluck supper to attend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did you know this was just what I was planning to make this week? 'Cept I throw a little butter in the cream cheese frosting for that death-by-fat factor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Island Sparrow, that's so great!

    Colleen, As I said to A Brit in Tenn, I usually make a conf sugar cream cheese frosting and it has butter in it, too. I'd never used this regular sugar frosting before but it was really good.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.