Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sour Cream Rhubarb Squares

I picked the first rhubarb today! I froze two cups, and used the rest for:

Sour Cream Rhubarb Squares

Preheat oven to 350º F.
Grease a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.

Beat together:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
1 egg
1 teapoon vanilla extract

In a separate bowl, mix:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add flour mix to butter mix, alternately with 1 cup sour cream.
Stir in 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb.
Pour into pan and bake 45-50 minutes.
Cut into squares.

There was a topping in the recipe which I chose not to use this time:

Mix together until crumbly:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon melted and cooled butter

This recipe comes from a book which my friend Les gave me. It is scrumptious!



12 comments:

  1. This looks good. My rhubarb is ready too - so thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are making my dinner decisions easy tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh sounds delicious !
    I love rhubarb, especially with English Bird's Custard, poured all over it :)
    Now off to find some....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm.... That looks delicious, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhubarb brings back so many memories of my childhood. My grandpa always had this growing behind one of his barns and we loved to eat..my mouth is puckering up right now at those memories of the "sour" taste of the rhubarb..didn't stop us though, we kept on eating it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait for rhubarb in our area....so much you can do with it!
    love it; thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to each of you for taking the time to write. There are more rhubarb recipes on the sidebar under 'fruit desserts.' And there should be more coming from this little cookbook as the season rolls along. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your rhubarb looks beautiful! We planted some this year and hope to have some to pick next year. I want to invite you to submit your post to the May Grow Your Own blogging event. Please let me know if you are interested!

    Cheers,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe! Since my rhubarb plant is still too small to harvest, I used frozen cranberries instead. Really good. This one goes in my kitchen notebook. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea, this isn't actually my favorite rhubarb recipe. I might use another.

    Kay, I love cranberries! Your rhubarb will be grown in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, I thought I left a comment here, but it must have disappeared into the ether! I'm so glad you are enjoying this book! These squares sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Les, I wondered if you had seen this. I've got the book open this morning searching for the next rhubarb dessert. :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.