Thursday, November 15, 2007

Dog rescue :<)

So, you may wonder, what does this woman do all day? Is she bustling about cooking or quietly reading? Oh, for the peaceful life. Well, sometimes. But there are farm adventures, and today's involves those two adorable creatures on my blog header.

One would think that two black dogs would wish to spend a 40º rainy, raw day in front of a warm, crackling woodstove. But they wanted to go outdoors, so I opened the door, and out they ran. They were gone quite a while but I figured they were following their noses in the field, which is the summer pasture and safely fenced in. Then I heard Ben bark. Usually, if not always, it is Sadie who gives the bark to come in. So, right off I knew something was up. Ben came rushing into the house all upset, and soaked, as you might imagine. I called for Miss S. No dog. I shut Ben into a room, and donning my old big coat, which belonged to my late father-in-law, and my Wellies, I trekked out and there she was, sitting prettily behind the fence in the sewer area. I had to go to the barn, shut off the electric fence, pull up some strands, step on some others, and coax her out. It took her a while since she is afraid of getting shocked. Finally, her desire for freedom overcame her fear, and she jumped through. So how did she get there? Were they both there? How did Ben get out? When the dogs engage in these sorts of escapades, we always call them Two Bad Ants after a children's book we used to read to our kids. Well, right now, our two bad ants are happily drying off in the warmth of their home.

6 comments:

  1. What a grand adventure they had...I bet they are writing all about it in their little dog journals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs can get themselves into the most trouble so innocently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, what a pickle! I don't suppose Sadie will do that again - dogs do learn fast when they get hurt. I really like how dogs communicate with us - good for Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new header picture. Dogs are so delightful, no wonder they are members of our families.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adventure! Just this week, Trot (my golden retriever granddog) figured out how to open the gate of his fenced in yard. Don't know how he did it--I have trouble working the gate. He and Frankie (yellow lab/malamut mix granddog--a Katrina rescue) took off. There are only two directions to go from their safe backyard--a main highway in one direction and the Merrimack River in the other. Fortunately, a neighbor recognized them, enticed them with a dog biscuit, and brought them safely home to my son. Frankie was heard to say, "Oh, no, Trot. We are going to be in SOOOOOOOOOOO much trouble." Trot, ever the glad rag, paid no mind, knowing that the relief of having them back safely would lead to hugs, pats on the head...and more treats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your comments! And Marcia, that is a great, great story. :<) Thanks to each of you for taking the time to leave a note.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.