Friday, November 2, 2007

Quote du jour/Gladys Taber

November is a quiet month in New England. Colors are muted, haze stands over the hills, shadows fall long on the lawn. The air is dreamy. It is a curious time, an intermission between the excitement of October and the coming of the snows. By now almost everyone is ready for winter. When we drive along the winding country roads, I note neat stacks of firewood by back doors, tractors covered by the barns, and around many of the old farmhouses, banks of evergreen packed against the foundations.
Gladys Taber, Stillmeadow Sampler, 1959

Our firewood is all stacked, though in two piles; one big one, and another smaller one on the terrace which gets replenished as needed. Our tractor is not covered because it is in use all winter long. Tom uses it to bring the aforementioned wood up to the terrace, and to plow out the parking area. And we don't bank the house with evergreens, being afraid it will draw mice, and we already have plenty, thank you very much.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by my blog & your nice comment. Your blog is wonderful! I've been enjoying some of your prior posts. Hope you stop by Posted From Home again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sentiments you express so beautifully on your blog, Nan. They so often elicit a small sigh of grateful relief from me when I read them, along the lines of "God's in his heaven, all's well the world". Thankyou for creating a little virtual haven for us all to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in Massachusetts right now visiting my daughter and grandsons. Isn't today a pip? But it has been beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, I'll certainly be over again!

    Karen, what a nice, nice thing to say. Thank you very much.

    Violet Lady, it has been just beautiful! I hope you are having a wonderful visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The words of Gladys Taber are always wonderful to read. Your own just melt into hers. I know what you mean about mice. We have them nesting in our shed at the cottage. Jos can't get rid of them so we had to resort to desperate measures which makes me very sad. When we arrived on Friday, I found one dead in the shed. Why do I not want them in there damaging things but also am tortured with the idea that some mouse babies are missing their mommy or daddy? Okay I know I am silly or nuts or both!

    Hope you had a wonderful weekend dear Nan. I put some photos of our walk in the woods this morning on the blog.....

    ~~ Heidi ~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mouse topic is a tough one, Heidi. Our policy is that if the cats kill one, so be it, but if we see the chase, we save the mouse. I know, it makes no sense. :<) But I am a bit fond of the little creatures; just not on my counters. We aren't troubled very much in the house, luckily.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.