Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Joy of Baking - Sugar Cookies


This recipe comes from the lovely Mary Engelbreit's Cookies Cookbook.

Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies

The recipe begins,

Here is the very best recipe for delicate, pale golden, meltingly sweet
sugar cookies - every batch is a beauty. Who could say no?

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies [depends on the size you make them]

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup margarine [I use only soft butter - 1 cup]
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour [I use 1 1/2 cup white, 1 cup whole wheat]
1 cup coarse white or colored sugar, or a combination [I use less than 1/2 cup regular sugar]

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. [or 350º depending on your own oven]. Lightly grease baking sheets. [I use a cooking spray, and only spray them once]

2. Beat the butter, and two sugars together in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Beat in the flour at slow speed.

3. Roll pieces of the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll to coat well in the coarse [or regular] sugar. [I put it in a bowl to do this] Place about 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Use the bottom of a glass to flatten each cookie. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.

My notes are in the brackets. These are the best sugar cookies! Just pour a glass of milk and enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. These look delicious, Nan! I'm going to add them to my Christmas cookie list. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! ~ hugs, Lynda xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan,

    I was just reading one of my magazines today (the December Xmas issue) and it said - when making sugar cookies, find a glass with an etched bottom and press that on top of the balls of dough - it will make a pretty pattern. They said you could also use the pattern off your silverware or off of jello molds and so on.... Then sprinkle some sugar on top to make the design sparkle.

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so welcome, Lynda! Let me know if you try them.

    And Linda, welcome!! I was thrilled to see your name. Thanks for the tip, and please come again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these this past week. Delicious! I'm sharing the recipe tomorrow on my blog. Thanks so much for sending it to me all those years ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my mother is smiling about this. These are the only cookies she made at Christmas, and the only ones I make, and now the only ones Margaret makes. So happy you liked them! Simple. And not too sweet so they aren't overwhelming when frosted.

      Delete
    2. I have two recipes from you (via email) and tried the first, which is the Mary Engelbreit recipe. I still want to try your mom's!

      Delete
  5. The best sugar cookies! I have been making them for many years! I had the cook book that had this recipe and I got rid of it a few years ago……..forgetting that I used this recipe! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for a comment all these years later! And so happy you like the cookies.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.