Sunday, September 23, 2007

First Day of Fall






When Fall Comes To New England

Words And Music by
Cheryl Wheeler

When fall comes to New England
The sun slants in so fine
And the air's so clear
You can almost hear the grapes grow on the vine

The nights are sharp with starlight
And the days are cool and clean
And in the blue sky over head
The northern geese fly south instead
And leaves are Irish Setter red
When fall comes to New England

When fall comes to New England
And the wind blows off the sea
Swallows fly in a perfect sky
And the world was meant to be

When the acorns line the walkways
Then winter can't be far
From yellow leaves a blue jay calls
Grandmothers walk out in their shawls
And chipmunks run the old stone walls
When fall comes to New England

The frost is on the pumpkin
The squash is off the vine
And winter warnings race across the sky
The squirrels are on to something
And they're working overtime
The foxes blink and stare and so do I

'Cause when fall comes to New England
Oh I can't turn away
From fading light on flying wings
And late good-byes a robin sings
And then another thousand things
When fall comes to New England

When fall comes to New England

----------------
Now playing: Cheryl Wheeler - When Fall Comes to New England

8 comments:

  1. Your pictures are lovely.

    Autumn hasn't fully arrived here (London, UK) yet. We never had summer this year, but the past couple of weeks have been lovely - unusually warm for this time of year. I guess we'll probably get autumn-type weather in November!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so wonderful. What a great life you've chosen. It's like taking a walk in the country. Thanks, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both for visiting and for your nice words. They mean so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos! You've captured so many things that are so wonderful about Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara, I love the line in Cheryl Wheeler's song where she writes, "and then another thousand things." That's so true. Everywhere I look, any road I take, and window I look out of offers a sight that says, fall is here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this wonderful song and the written words of it! They suit so well to your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Barbara. Honestly, the words absolutely describe my surroundings right now. I wish my camera could do justice to the color in the hills. It is just so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post... How lovely are your Fall photos, a sweet reminder of just why I love this time of year so much...

    Happy Autumn to you...

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.