Thursday, January 4, 2007

Thursday Thirteen/Favorite Books of 2006

For a few days, I've been trying to think of how I wanted to go about making a list of favorite books for last year. Do I choose ten for a top ten list? Do I list all my A+ books (31), which must mean they were my favorites?

So then I thought I would use the Thursday Thirteen format. I reviewed those thirty-one books to see which of them created a perfect reading experience for me: a book I hated to put down, a book I thought about while I wasn't reading it, a book I couldn't wait to get back to, a book I was totally absorbed in. And these are the thirteen I came up with.

[A funny, completely unrelated, musical sidenote - The two numbers make me think of the Offspring song, Pretty Fly (For a White Guy):
Now, he’s getting a tattoo, yeah, he’s gettin’ ink done
He asked for a 13, but they drew a 31
]

My thirteen favorite books of 2006, in alphabetical order by author:

1. The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog by Dave Barry, 2006, fiction

2. The Quiet Hills by Iris Bromige, 1967, fiction

3. The Day The World Came To Town
9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim Defede, 2002, non-fiction

4. Christmas Remembered by Tomie DePaola, 2006, non-fiction

5. The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman, 1971, fiction

6. Evenings At Five by Gail Godwin, 2003, fiction

7. A Common Life by Jan Karon, 2001, fiction

8. Light From Heaven by Jan Karon, 2005, fiction

9. Dear Mr. Jefferson: Letters From A Nantucket Garden by Laura Simon, 1998, non-fiction

10. Espresso Tales by Alexander McCall Smith, 2005, fiction

11. The Right Attitude To Rain by Alexander McCall Smith, 2006, fiction

12. Stillmeadow and Sugarbridge by Gladys Taber and Barbara Webster, 1953, non-fiction

13. A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas, 2006, non-fiction

4 comments:

  1. This Kay by the way. 'Janezfan' is for Jane Austen. You always have the most eclectic lists of favorite books. Very nice. Love that Mrs. Pollifax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read two of your thirteen and I'd vote for them as well: Alexander McCall Smith never fails to delight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping in, Kay! So good to see your name here. I wonder how many read Mrs P these days? Such a good series!

    Karen, "delight" is a good word to describe him! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I have such different tastes in books. I didn't care for the Dave Barry book very much. It was quick, but not one I loved. Fortunately, my hubby did (since it was one of his Christmas gifts!). I'm still anxious to read A Three Dog Life, though. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.