Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Book of the month



My November book of the month is The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog, a new book of fiction by Dave Barry. Now, I rarely read Dave Barry's columns, and have never read one of his books. I picked this book up at the library for my husband, thinking he would like it. He read it in one sitting, and thought it was great. He laughed out loud and read several passages to me, and said I really should read it. Well, I just loved it! I bought it for our Christmas book collection, and now my husband is reading it aloud to his junior high students. I was about the same age as the main character in the early 1960s, so everything was familiar to me. He had some terrific, evocative drawings and photographs of the period interspersed throughout the book. It was very funny, very warm-hearted, and simply lovely. I gave it an A+ in my book journal.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I will add this to my Christmas list. DH & I both love Dave Barry!

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Florida resident, I have a special place in my heart for Dave Barry. I just love the man and used to say that if I ever found a man who made me laugh as much as Dave, I'd love him forever. It seems I found one, lucky me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip. I am going to look for it at the library tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KSV W. I don't think you have to have grown up in his day (and mine!) to love it. Tom's students, who are 7th and 8th graders adore this book. Let me know what you think, if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.