Monday, November 22, 2010

Muffin Monday/Sour Cream Muffins (and Chili)

I had some sour cream in the refrigerator, so I thought I'd make sour cream muffins this cold, dark November day. I found a recipe on the internet.

Sour Cream Muffins

Whisk an egg.
Whisk in:
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon soft butter
1 cup sour cream

Mix together the following, and then add to egg mixture:
1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

I found this a little bit dry so added maybe half of 1/3 cup milk.
Fill greased 12-cup muffin tin.
Bake in preheated 400º F. oven for 20 minutes, but check at 15.


These are so very good. They will go perfectly with tonight's chili. Everyone has their own favorite chili recipe. This one is adapted from a friend's, and we just love it.

Chili

Put 1/2 cup dry black beans, and 1/2 cup dry cannellini beans into crockpot. Add 1/4 cup farro. Turn on high. Add maybe a teaspoon each of cumin and chili powder. Add salt, as desired.

Sauté a diced onion, some chopped summer squash, maybe a cup of frozen corn, and a sliced carrot in 2 Tablespoons olive oil, and then add to crockpot. I used the vegetables I had on hand today. If I'd had an orange or yellow pepper, I would have added it, too.

Aren't these colors beautiful - like a summer bouquet.



Put a 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes through the food mill, and add about 2/3 of it to the crockpot.
Cook for several hours.

Farro is a new-to-me grain, but it has been around for a really long time. More here, and here, if you are interested. I think it adds a nice touch to the chili.

This is the best picture I could get of the steaming chili in the crockpot. :<)
There's a giveaway going on through Sunday, the 28th!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Nan: These look very good, I think I shall have to give the a try.
    Congratulations on your 4th year anniversary. I have received much from your blog, I have found good books that you have recommended, good recipes that you have posted, and of course who can forget Mrs. B and her weather reports. Keep up the good work Nan, your postings are very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must definitely a nourishing and delicious-sounding chili! These are SOUP days, in my opinion. (We had green pepper soup last night at a small gathering of friends. It really "hit the spot"!)

    The muffins WOULD be a most perfect accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a most unusual mix of ingredients for a muffin. So much sour cream! I am so intrigued that I'm going to have to try it. Chili looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put out an extra bowl, plate, and spoon...I'm coming over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chili and muffins...what could be better on a cold night??? Thanks for the recipe for the muffins. I think I'll try it with heavy Greek yogurt, which I have in the house.

    Happy Thansgiving to you and yours and I LOVE the photo of the walls with shadows.

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love colour cooking! :-) On the rare occasions that see me actually doing something in the kitchen, I make sure not to use the same colour twice in a dish. I know it is a rather superficial and silly way to go about cooking, but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A perfect combo for a dreary day. I rather enjoy some gloomy weather once in a while, for the coziness it inspires.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna, thank you so much. Your words mean a lot to me.

    Rebecca, yesterday was certainly one of those days, as maybe the whole month of November is. The supper was delicious.

    Margot, I know! That is a lot of sour cream, but nothing compared with a recipe for sour cream muffins I found from Paula Deen. Hers had sour cream AND a cup of butter, and flour. That's it. I bet they're good though!

    Staci, I'd so love that.

    Karin, that's a great expression! I wasn't gone very long. :<) Thanks so much for coming by to check on me.

    Sharon, oh I'm sure yogurt would be tasty and of course healthier! But that sour cream really was good. :<) Thank you for the good wishes. We are going to paint for Thanksgiving - our library/study.

    Librarian, not silly or superficial. I think it is very cool, and in fact have read that the healthiest way to eat is to have a lot of different colors, but M&Ms don't count. :<)

    J.G., I was just telling someone that I like November just because of that. I enjoy outside stuff, but mostly I like sitting inside. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nan, I made these muffins for with dinner today and we all loved them. We like them better than a dinner roll because they are very light. And I did take your suggestion to look at them after 15 minutes in the oven instead of 20. They came out perfect. Happy Thanksgiving and many more years journaling online. Catherine Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. These both look fabulous! I have some sour cream leftover from Thanksgiving, so I might try these muffins.

    Please think about linking this post up to my Weekend Cooking feature on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, Catherine Mary, I couldn't be more pleased!!

    Beth, thank you for the invitation!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.