Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pizza crust for a smaller pizza

If you go to 'Main Meals' in the Recipes tab, you'll find two recipes for Pizza Crust: here and here. They are both good recipes. They make delicious crusts. But, I wanted a smaller pizza for just Tom and I. I have a bright red 12-inch Fiestaware pizza pan,


and it is just the right size for us. I wish I could tell you where I got the recipe from, but I didn't note it down. What I did note is that it makes a fantastic crust and it is the one I now use exclusively if making supper for the two of us.

Pizza Crust

In the food processor, mix:

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 package dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 Tablespoon rosemary
1 garlic clove, put through garlic press
1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt

Then add and mix again until dough forms (just a few seconds):

6 Tablespoons warm milk (don't have to heat; just let it sit out a few minutes)
6 Tablespoons warm water
3 Tablespoons olive oil

Put a little olive oil in a bowl.
Put in dough and roll it around a bit.
Cover with damp cloth and put in the oven, with the temperature off and the oven light on until it doubles - an hour or so.
Put it on greased pie plate and let rise a little more.

Top with sauce and cheese, and any vegetables (either raw or lightly sautéed) you wish.
Bake in preheated 375º oven for about half an hour.

As I have noted previously, Tom is the cheese man around here. I've never liked it so my side is cheese-free.


10 comments:

  1. No cheese? gasp!

    Looks delicious. I've never been sucessful with yeast, except in the bread machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, but I'll take the two slices with cheese, please! :)

    I was planning to make homemade pizza this week, so I'll have to try your recipe now. Thanks, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful! I love recipes for crust, because - cheese aside - crust can really make or break the pizza! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan, that looks DELICIOUS. I had to laugh, because in my "Nan and Tom household," we have a half-cheese and half-no-cheese pizza too! Isn't that funny? Only I am the one that loves cheese, and Tom (and actually Matt too) are resolutely anti-cheese. I find our little coincidences quite amusing. Thanks too for the post on your Nikon camera. I am in the market for a new digital camera, and was afraid to get the one everyone recommends (Canon Rebel) because I don't want to fuss, and I want something compact and able to put in a purse. Your review was very helpful and I now have that Nikon on my wish list! Be well! (Thanks for your kind comment on my poem.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The crust looks really good. When it's done right that's my favorite part of the pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can hear the crunching of the crust when you bite it, and smell the pizza by just looking at the pictures!! My pizza crust is a lot less elaborate, it just consists of white flour, water, salt and yeast (that's how I learnt it from my Sicilian ex-mother-in-law). Must make pizza soon again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pizza looks yummy! I have to say I do love the cheese though. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raidergirl, I know. Most people feel the same way. The yeast works fine just mixing it in. This is the stuff I use in the pizza and bread machine:
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/saf-red-instant-yeast-16-oz

    Les, most people do! I think you'll like the crust. It is really wonderful.

    Rhapsody in books, I agree, which is why I don't care for store or restaurant pizza. All three crusts I've posted are good ones. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

    Nan, it is like we are in mirror universes! I'm stunned. Give your Tom and Matt a high five from me! I don't know ANYONE who doesn't eat cheese on pizza. They are now my pizza friends. :<) And I love my little camera.

    Staci, ah, a bread girl like me. ;<)

    Librarian, it is a bit 'elaborate' but honestly took no time to mix up. I like the garlic and rosemary especially.

    Sherri, it is delicious - even 'my' side!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nan, I'm a little late commenting but I'm glad you decided to continue to journal online. I like the picture at the top. What is that seed pod? I have one sitting on my desk that I picked at a nature preserve but I don't know what it is. Also, do you bake your pizza in the Fiesta pan? I just bought a Fiesta pan 'cuz I looked at the crust in your picture. I want a crust like that!
    Also, how is your daughter's house coming along?--Catherine Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catherine Mary, how very nice to hear from you!! The picture is of milkweed. Yes, I do bake the pizza in the pan. I love Fiestaware!! I think it is great that you bought yourself one.
    Just before I read your comment, I posted the latest update on the house. Great minds. ;<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.