Monday, November 15, 2010

Muffin Monday - Rice Muffins





Here is another recipe from Nava Atlas' American Harvest. Her philpy is a long-time favorite, and these muffins are a bit similar.








Rice Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup milk
1 cup cold, well-cooked brown rice
2 Tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 400º F.
In a mixing bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
In another bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, rice, and melted butter.
Gradually add wet ingredients to the dry and stir vigorously until thoroughly blended.
Divide the batter evenly among the 12 cups of a greased muffin tin.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of one tests clean. (keep checking after about 15 minutes - mine cooked faster than the recipe said)
When the muffins are cool enough to handle, transfer them to a plate or rack to cool.

These muffins are great! Not a sweet or fruity muffin, but more 'bready,' more substantial.

We are having them tonight for supper with Gladys Taber's Leek and Potato Soup, using frozen leeks from this summer's garden.

11 comments:

  1. Nan, I love your blog so much and am so glad that you decided to continue writing. Thanks for sharing your love of great books. May I mention to you that I was able to get an advance copy of UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand and I highly recommend it. It is an amazing story on many different levels. Kay Guest

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so often have left over rice, almost always brown, and always store it away in the fridge with the firm committment to make a fried rice within the next day or two......which of course I never do...I think I'll make a firm committment to this instead, and actually make it :-)

    Sounds perfect with soup.

    Have a wonderful Tuesday Nan,
    blessings,
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan -- these sound delicious and healthful -- we're trying hard not to eat white sugar -- I agree these would be wonderful for a soup supper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay, how very nice of you to say this! I have just ordered Unbroken for Tom (and me, of course!) for Christmas. She is a great writer. I've told many people that I think Seabiscuit is the best book ever. It is a story which if told as fiction would be thought impossible. Thank you for your recommendation.

    Niki, perfect with soup, or breakfast! The rice actually gives its own sweetness to the muffins. I love brown rice. It is one of my most favorite foods. Hope you do make them. :<)

    Sallie, I love the crunchy taste of the rice. Really terrific muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan, these muffins would seem to make a great breakfast muffin! I'll have to give them a try! Thanks for sharing as usual your wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On a slightly different topic: Nan, thanks so much for letting me know about your Book Reports. I read some of the Christmas Book reviews and loved them. I am definitely getting my hands on the Tomie de Paola book - I've always loved his illustrations - and the Madeline L'Engle one. This last for my granddaughter. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They do look great and not too difficult to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yvette, that TdP book is really something very special. It is just wonderful. And the L'Engle is one of my all time favorites.

    Staci, they also don't last long. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these today since I had exactly a cup of cooked brown rice left over, and they were delightful. I did add 1 TB of sugar and very lightly sprinkled the tops with sugar before baking. They're scrumptious. Thank you for this recipe, which came just at the right time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, that is just so great!! I might try the sugar myself next time. I would guess your T. sugar would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.