Saturday, November 27, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is a perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for when you don't want too many. It makes two dozen cookies. I got it from a magazine ad for Sugar In The Raw, sugar I have mentioned before; the one I use all the time for both white and brown. The ad is just adorable, and here is an article on Sugar In The Raw's latest ad campaign. Ah, the genius of those mad men and women.

Cumberland Packing Corp.'s new campaign for its In The Raw all-natural sweeteners is putting a twist on a familiar approach by tying recipes into humorous takes on human emotions and behavior.

The campaign, taglined "It's Only Natural," aims to convey the versatility of Sugar In The Raw and its zero-calorie counterpart, Stevia Extract In The Raw, by drawing consumers in with lighthearted commentaries on the roles that food plays in our lives.

The campaign's print ads, from the Mother New York ad agency, feature bold, run-on headlines playing on themes of love, loss and indulgence and close-ups of tempting foods and beverages, accompanied by step-by-step recipe copy.

Examples include "Cocoa brownies to heal a heart broken by a man who promises it wasn't you; it was him. And by him he means a girl named Stacey Lee"; "Chocolate chip cookies you'll bake for her birthday that she'll never try because you'll never give them to her because you'll eat them all and phone in some tulips"; and "Spiced iced coffee that has you thinking about the five bucks you spend every day on a coffee you could brew at home but know you never will except for today."

The underlying message: "In The Raw understands the changing reasons in one's choice of sweetener and provides the flexibility to choose, without sacrificing taste, naturalness and quality," sums up Steven Eisenstadt, CEO of Brooklyn, N.Y.-headquartered, family-owned Cumberland Packing Corp., whose product lines also include Sweet'N Low, NatraTaste (Blue and Gold), Sweet One, Nu-Salt and Butter Buds.

Sugar In The Raw, a turbinado sugar made from natural cane, was launched in 1970. Stevia In The Raw, introduced in 2009, claims to be absent of the aftertaste often associated with stevia products, and has shown the fastest growth in unit and dollar sales among the top five nationally branded sugar substitutes during the past 52 weeks, according to SymphonyIRI data cited by Cumberland.

The stevia product is available in a baking-bag package designed for easy use in cooking and baking, as well as in single-serving packaging.

The cookies are, of course, delicious! And they'll not go stale because there are so few you'll eat 'em up in no time.


Chocolate Chip Cookies

quoting the ad here - with my notes in orange

Makes 2 dozen. 1 for you, 1 for her. Or so she hopes.
Oven: 375º.
Big bowl:
1/2 cup melted butter - cooled
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup of all natural Sugar In The Raw.

Maybe she's having one of those days? Weeks? Sub 1/2 cup of zero calorie Stevia Extract In The Raw with 1/2 cup Sugar In The Raw for a better day. Mix hard.

Add 1 1/4 cup of flour. Yeah, the white stuff. A little bit won't hurt.
1/2 tsp. of baking soda
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/2 cup macadamia nuts - I didn't use any nuts
and 1 cup chocolate chips. Well, minus the handful (or two) you'll have already eaten.
Then stir it up - I used the Kitchen Aid
spoonfuls on the sheet - I greased it with cooking spray
and into the oven.
10 minutes later, it's Happy Birthday time. Maybe even for the birthday girl.

A fun recipe to read, and terrific cookies to bake on this snowy, foggy November day.

Please do visit Beth Fish Reads for more Weekend Cooking posts.

15 comments:

  1. I like having the proportions for small-batch baking. Thanks! I have seen Sugar in the Raw at the store but haven't bought it. I'm going to have to start paying closer attention to their ads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would eat them ALL if I made a batch....that is the problem. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you mean, "This is a perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for when you don't want too many." ?? Is there ever such a thing as too many cookies, especially when it comes to chocolate chip ones? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sugar in the Raw! I must try these. Although, after Thursday, I don't exactly need them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cookies look wonderful!
    It was a snowy, foggy November day here too! Lovely day to be a domestic diva!
    Thanks for sharing that great recipe!
    Joanne in snowy Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, those cookies look great! But there's no need to worry about cookies going stale in my house, we eat them so quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm DEFINITELY making these... I have started using ONLY REAL ingredients. EVEN BUTTER, I DO LOVE molasses too and make gingerbread and molasses cookies all year. They remind me of my Grandmother!!! COULD SHE BAKE!!! I usually used brown sugar in baking my pies... Thanks for sharing this AND I'm off to buy a BIG BAG tomorrow...
    Hugs to you, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit I have never meet a chocolate chip cookies I did not like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recipe. I have never thought about putting macadamia nuts in cookies. Will have to try it as my husband loves them.

    The clothesline book sounds good. I love the smell of sheets after I put them out for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right - that was a fun recipe to read. I like the idea of only making 2 dozen. There are just the two of us and we really don't need four dozen sitting here begging us to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth, it is really great stuff! I love this sugar.

    Diane, that's the advantage of *only* 2 dozen. :<)

    Librarian, you are so right!

    Pamela, one always *need* cookies!

    Joanne, you're right!

    Dorothy, same here. ;<)

    Donna, I've never used anything but butter!! You'll like this sugar, I'm sure.

    Caite, me either!

    Jodi, I hadn't either. If you make them, let me know what you think, if you get a chance.

    Margot, and one dozen each seems okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is there such a thing as too many cookies??? LOL...I want some with a big glass of cold milk!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Staci, that's exactly how I eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a baker but these sound good.

    I posted my first weekend cooking post last weekend with a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Callista, the cookies are very, very easy and so delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.