Monday, March 22, 2010

Buttermilk Banana Cake


My buttermilk adventures continue!

Buttermilk Banana Cake

2/3 cup melted butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 ripe bananas
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Mix dry ingredients.

In a separate bowl:
Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs and vanilla.
Add mashed bananas.
Add buttermilk alternately with flour mixture.
Mix well.
Bake in a greased 13 x 9 inch pan for about 45 minutes.

Frost with whipped cream frosting:
Blend one pint of heavy cream with 1/4 cup confectioners sugar and a dash of salt in a blender for about a minute until cream is thick.
Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Of course you could instead use a cream cheese or sour cream or buttercream frosting. It's going to taste great with any of them.

This is an exceptionally light and fluffy cake! Delicious!

11 comments:

  1. I think you are trying to kill me.... this looks so yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to make this- sounds really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...you're killing us Nan...........LOL This looks heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really yummy! I love banana bread, so I think banana CAKE would be great. Though I'll probably add chocolate chip to it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG me too..I made buttermilk banana loaf, yesterday, just had a taste, yummmu and moist...am on a buttermilk kick, also made blueberry buttermilk loaf...(cooks.com)..will try tomorrow...I'll try your receipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word that cake looks so good. I love banana cake and I'm thinking I am going to love this recipe. Why make bread when you could make cake? I hope you don't mind if I copy it over to my blog with a link back here. That is how I remember where I see recipe's I want to make.
    BTW, my header picture is in County Wicklow Ireland. When I was there in August '09, I hiked through a series of trails called two feet into Wicklow and took this picture there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheila, it is great!

    Erin, I just had some for breakfast! Heck, it has fruit and eggs right? :<)

    Diane, a fantastic recipe!

    Aarti, I'll try choc chips sometime!

    Bettyann, isn't it amazing we are both doing this buttermilk baking?!

    Hip Chick, of course I don't mind! The more people who can enjoy the recipe, the better! Thanks for letting me know about the picture. Ah, Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nan -- I made this cake over the weekend and it is wonderful. It tastes like a big, fluffy loaf of banana bread with buttercream frosting! This is the second one of your recipes I've tried. The first was the one for chocolate zucchini cake, which was also very tasty. Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, I thank you for trying the recipes, and for taking the time to come and tell me! It means a lot to me. I love your description - it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This may be what I make for Easter. I have all the ingredients and it looks so "springy".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, that's just wonderful, Brenda! Thanks so much for telling me. I'm so pleased.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.