Friday, November 16, 2007

Today's poem - Surprise by unknown author


I opened my eyes
And my room was bright,
I wondered what had happened
Outside last night.

I opened the windows
And let everyone know.
The world was covered
With white fluffy snow.

I grabbed my mittens,
My scarf and my suit,
And pulled on my
Brand new winter boots.

I ran outside
And I started to play,
And I hoped that the snow
Was here to stay.


  1. Ah, yes we did! And those cute black dogs have been running around and playing just like kids. :<)

  2. What gorgeous pictures, Nan!! Wow, you certainly had a lot of snow! We haven't had any here in southern Ontario ... and everyone thinks we get a lot of snow in Canada! Thanks so much for your comments on my blog ... we enjoy many of the same authors!! Have a great weekend. ~ hugs, Lynda xo

  3. How beautiful, Nan! We got snow over-night here in PA, but nothing as pretty as you got...I just love snow when it clings to the trees...simply beautiful!

    I also want to thank you for the kind words you left for me on my blog regarding the passing of our dear "Granny"...I really appreciate it!

    Love, Kim

  4. I found your blog thru Amy's, and I'm so thankful to have done so.

    Enjoy the snow.

  5. I am so not ready for winter!! There's talk of snow next Wednesday. It feels like fall just began. We. Must. Rake. Leaves!!

    Enjoy your winter wonderland. I know you like it. :)

  6. I love the picture of the winter scene you've captured. It is beautiful!

  7. What a beautiful picture! How lucky you are. I love your poem too!

  8. I like the poem - reminds me of my childhood. We don't get much snow here, so it's always a surprise. It has got a bit colder and we've had frost the last few mornings, but not today. It just looks grey and damp outside.

    Enjoy the snow!

  9. This poem made my heart dance. I was hooked on the first stanza. Whoopeeee!!! Such glee you stirred up.

  10. Thank you, dear Nan, for providing me with a new picture for my computer. I was just thinking that the one you posted with the mums and the pumpkins was about to need an update. I have told you that I use your pictures as my desktop wallpaper? Thanks and enjoy. It got down to 41 here Thursday night. It will be close to 80 later today though.

  11. Thanks, Heidi. I wish I knew who wrote it.

    Lynda, Thank you. We get a lot of the same weather as Quebec.

    Kim, you're welcome. It's snowing again today off and on, right through the sunshine.

    Margaret, what a nice thing to say. Thank you, and I stopped in to your blog. I'll be spending more time there.

    Les, we didn't rake at all this year. They'll be fine. Just call them garden nutrients. :<)

    Thanks, Carol. My photographs are almost all pure luck!

    Patrice, thank you.

    BooksPlease, I do love those childhood poems. Sometimes the simple little verses are just perfect.

    Lisa, I love what you wrote. Glee is such a good word, and I rarely hear it.

  12. Hey Kay, you are so welcome! I am flattered that you like them that much! What a range of temps you are having.

  13. Fantastic, wonderful snow scenes, Nan. We don't get that much snow here so I hope it's okay if I share yours. :-)

  14. Of course, Cath! And you'll be seeing a lot more, I expect. I think that last winter readers may have gotten tired of all 'my' snow. :<)

  15. Oh, Nan, your snow is beautiful! I'm thinking you're in New Hampshire? My son lives in Boston, but hasn't had any yet that I know of.

    DO NOT go back to Diane Ackerman or any book you didn't care for -- waaaaay too many fish in the sea!

    Jeanne :)



Now that I am a grandmother, it seems that I am often late in replying to your most-appreciated comments. But I read them as soon as they come in, and I will write as soon as I can. Please do come back and check. I love these blogging conversations. A little addendum - I've just spent quite a long time catching up with dear notes you left me months ago!! I do hope you can get back to read them. And I'm trying to be much more prompt now!

Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.