Thursday, November 1, 2007

Quote du jour/John Clare

So dull and dark are the November days,
The lazy mist high up the evening curled,
And now the morn quite hides in smoke and haze;
The place we occupy seems all the world.
John Clare, November

Oh, my, November is living up to its reputation. I'm surprised I even woke up this morning. I came downstairs and turned on all the lights I had turned off last night. This house indeed "seems all the world."

You can almost see the slow drizzle outside.

I even turned on the outside lights!


  1. Oh my Nan! I thought about this quote and used the other instead as it seemed an overview of my wanting to celebrate November. This is getting spooky. LOL!

    I love the photos you took for this quote. You are so right that they were the perfect settings for the quote. I really love the first photo. What a pretty lamp and love the dog bookends. I have dog bookends too for my antique and vintage red books. What books do you have there? Are they picked for a special reason or a theme?

    Hope you have a very inspiring start to November ~ the final chapter of autumn!

    ~~ Heidi ~~

  2. It was quite dark in our house this morning and I turned on lots of lights when I came downstairs at 5 am. Have I told you how much I love seeing pix of the inside of your house?! ;) If I can't be there with you, I love to peek in every now and then. Thanks for such a warm welcome.

  3. Lovely post, and beautiful lighting.


  4. I love seeing all these nooks of your home Nan, it looks very cozy. I am an especial fan of the yellow mixer!

  5. Nan, your home looks so cozy! I can imagine myself there sitting and reading a book and just relaxing with you and your dogs!

  6. What a beautiful home you have. I love your photo posts. The scenery ones remind me of our holiday in New England in 1996. Thank you for sharing them.

  7. John Clare is my favourite poet, Nan - he and I have similar backgrounds. Regarding your house, I've said it many times before but I will say it again, I absolutely LOVE it!!!!

  8. I so loved each of your comments, and all that praise for my house! Thank you, thank you. I think I ought to do a blog entry on the some of the less pretty corners. It needs a lot of work, inside and out. :<(

    Heidi, the books inside the dog bookends are for the Celebrate The Author Challenge. Every month in 2008, you read a book written by or about an author whose birthday is in that month. You may read more (and join if you'd like!) here:


I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.