Thursday, February 22, 2007

"We're for dogs"

I love the Pedigree commercial which was shown during the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show last week.

We're for dogs.
Some people are for the whales, some for the trees.
We're for dogs.

The big ones and
the little ones.

The guardians and
the comedians.

The pure breeds
and the mutts.

We're for walks, runs, and romps.
Digging, scratching, sniffing, and fetching,

We're for dog parks, dog doors, and dog days...
and if there were an international holiday for dogs on which all dogs were universally recognized for their contribution to the quality of our lives, we'd be for that too.

Because, we're for dogs.


As I watched the two night event, I kept paper and pen by my side to write down the dogs I might like to have. And today I have spent a lot of time going through all those choices, finding out about the various breeds to learn which ones will fit into our particular life. My list was narrowed down to the following breeds. Stay tuned to see which is the first one chosen. :<)


Beagle

Bloodhound

Boxer

Bulldog

Bullmastiff

English Springer Spaniel

Flat-Coated Retriever

French Bulldog

Giant Schnauzer

Gordon Setter

Irish Setter

Otterhound

Pug

Weimaraner

4 comments:

  1. HI, Just came across your BLOG and would like to let you know how great a Bullmastiff is. We are on our second. Our first was a male we bought as a puppy. His temperment was great, he was very sweet. Now our second came from Bullmastiff Rescue (I have elderly parents and did not want a puppy.) It seems to me this guy is even sweeter than the first. I also have a cat, they have been fine with my cat. The breed is very laid back. One issue to consider might be their size, ours is 150 lbs. Also they are very strong. Good training is a must. Had to add my two cents, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, thank you so very much for taking the time to comment. I loved hearing a "real" story about this breed. We have three dogs now who weigh around a hundred pounds each, so I don't think I'd notice another fifty. :<) There's something about the Bullmastiff that has always appealed to us. I love the idea of sweet, big dogs. Thank you again. You may have tipped the scales in favor of the Bullmastiff being the next choice, although our almost 22 year old son read the entry and he is in favor of the Bulldog. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What, no Jack Russell Terrier?! Nan, if you change your mind I'd be willing to "loan" you our puppy.... ;-)

    Actually, I'm hoping once she's spayed her behavior will improve. That's probably a futile hope, but it's just about all I have right now. I know she needs to be spayed because she's been getting rather amorous with our other dog's head. Try explaining that one to the kids. "Oh, she's just trying to climb over Taffy...."

    And they're both female, but that doesn't seem to matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a Boxer fan and have been since Duke walked into our lives when I was five, Boxers are affectionate, protective, playful and they love kids. The one drawback is they are stubborn but Gracie now understands I am the alpha female. I have had four boxers of my own and can't think of nay other dog I'd rather have,

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.