Wednesday, February 21, 2007

New books

I happened to be away yesterday, and stopped for a while in a small and beautiful bookstore. It was in a renovated old house right on the Main Street of a little town. I spent a nice half hour walking around and of course bought a few books. The first one is a book of poems for children, by one of my favorite poets, Maxine Kumin. The second is a delightful sounding book in the spirit of Elizabeth Enright or E. Nesbit. The third is by a writer my husband and I are very fond of, about his much beloved, late wife, Alice. The fourth was recommended by an internet friend who left a comment on a Wendell Berry poem.



3 comments:

  1. I wondered where you were yesterday. You were missed! :)

    I listened to a podcast with Trillin that was quite interesting. I've added the book to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan, I read and loved About Alice..it is touching without being at all maudlin...I hope you love Jaybe Crow as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Les. What a nice, nice thing to say. Calvin Trillin used to make regular appearances on late night talk shows, and is a very interesting talker and writer. Thanks, Jeanie, for the words about the book. I was a little reluctant to buy it because of the topic, but am glad I did. Tom is very excited to read JC, too.

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.