You may talk about your vases,
Just how beautiful they are,
but to me there's nothing nicer,
than a well-filled cookie jar.
Elsie Duncan Yale
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt
10 T. (1 1/4 sticks) softened butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly (I use Ghiradelli)
Sifted confectioners' sugar, for coating
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly grease baking sheets.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. In a large bowl (I used the KitchenAid mixer), beat the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla.
Add the melted chocolate. On low speed, add the flour mixture.
4. Shape into balls, and roll in confectioners' sugar.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until tops are cracked and cookies are just set. Cool a bit on baking sheets and transfer to cooling racks.
Excellent cookies! I made some with and some without the confectioners' sugar. Great both ways.