Wednesday, February 7, 2007

The Cookie Jar

You may talk about your vases,
Just how beautiful they are,
but to me there's nothing nicer,
than a well-filled cookie jar.
Elsie Duncan Yale





Chocolate Crackles

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt
10 T. (1 1/4 sticks) softened butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla extract
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly (I use Ghiradelli)
Sifted confectioners' sugar, for coating

1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly grease baking sheets.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. In a large bowl (I used the KitchenAid mixer), beat the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla.
Add the melted chocolate. On low speed, add the flour mixture.
4. Shape into balls, and roll in confectioners' sugar.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until tops are cracked and cookies are just set. Cool a bit on baking sheets and transfer to cooling racks.

My notes:
Excellent cookies! I made some with and some without the confectioners' sugar. Great both ways.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I can't stand just looking at the pictures. I'm copying the recipe and baking those cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too! Then I'll post a picture of MY cookie jar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love chocolate crackles but always called them crinkles. I really want to come and have a cup of tea and a cookie with you. I have always had a picture in my mind of your beautiful home. Enjoy your cookies Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll love them, Kat and Les. No, I know you'll love them. :<)

    And Heidi, you are so sweet. I have to have milk with my cookies, though. I have milk with everything, actually. :<)

    The jar is an old McCoy (the real McCoy!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I ever tell you that I have a cookie jar collection? Have one similar to this one but it has red flowers on the front. Cookies sound great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, you didn't, janezfan. I bet they are wonderful. Do you keep cookies in all of them all the time? :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.