Sunday, February 18, 2007

Chocolate Mousse



This is a very quick and easy recipe, and to my mind the best tasting ever.

1. Melt together over low heat, or in a double boiler, 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate and 2 T. water. Let cool.

2. Separate 4 eggs.

3. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (I use the KitchenAid), add 1/3 cup sugar and continue beating.

4. Whisk chocolate and egg yolks together. Add 1/2 t. vanilla.

5. Stir a little of the egg whites mixture into the chocolate mixture, and then fold that into the egg white mixture.

Spoon into 8 custard cups, and refrigerate. Add a dollop (or more) of fresh whipped cream to each cup. In the last few years, I learned the best way to make whipped cream is in the blender. Put in the heavy cream and a bit of honey (or sugar). Turn the blender on low, and blend for less than a minute. Keep checking that it doesn't over-blend.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yum!!!! I love chocolate mousse and never understood when someone said it was too rich and they couldn't finish. Hand it over! I'll eat it. :) This is definitely a recipe I'll try this week.

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.