Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Today's poem - The Pasture by Robert Frost

The Pasture
by Robert Frost

I'm going out to clean the pasture spring;
I'll only stop to rake the leaves away
(And wait to watch the water clear, I may):
I sha'n't be gone long. – You come too.

I'm going out to fetch the little calf
That's standing by the mother. It's so young
It totters when she licks it with her tongue.
I sha'n't be gone long. – You come too.


When I was thirteen, I was given a book called:

You Come Too
Favorite Poems For Young Readers
by Robert Frost

I read this particular poem over and over until I knew it by heart. I didn't know what a "pasture spring" was being a town girl, but I knew I wanted to live near one and have a country life with farm animals. And now I do. I have a pasture spring and a house spring and many other springs that come off the hill above us and go nowhere. Every once in a while, my husband and the dogs trek up and he does indeed clean it out. Once it was plugged with a pink salamander, though we called it a newt in honor of Gussie Fink-Nottle after a Wodehouse character.

The spring never dries up. Pure water that never stops moving. It has furnished water for this house since it was built in the 1800s. It is a little miracle to me.

The poem has some of my favorite words which aren't heard too much today: sha'n't, fetch, and totters. They have such a beautiful sound.

2 comments:

  1. I find my speech getting so sloppy - picking up regionalisms and cutting words short. You'd think I"d know better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love regionalisms, and regional accents. They are a way of saying, hey I'm from Texas or Nebraska or Maine. Too, I think spoken language is rarely as lovely or thoughtful as written.

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.