Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Canned Goods

On this 9th day of January, in the middle of winter, I find myself thinking of the most wonderful Greg Brown song, called Canned Goods. Here are the lyrics:

Canned Goods

Well, let the wild winter wind bellow and blow.
I'm as warm as a July tomato.

There's peaches on the shelf, potatoes in the bin.
Supper's ready, everybody come on in.
Taste a little of the summer.
Taste a little of the summer.
Taste a little of the summer.
Grandma put it all in jars.

Well, there's a root cellar, fruit cellar, down below.
Watch your head now, and down we go.

There's peaches on the shelf, potatoes in the bin.
Supper's ready, everybody come on in.
Taste a little of the summer.
Taste a little of the summer.
Taste a little of the summer.
Grandma put it all in jars.

Well, maybe you are weary and you don't give a damn.
I bet you never tasted her blackberry jam.

There's peaches on the shelf, potatoes in the bin.
Supper's ready, everybody come on in.
Taste a little of the summer.
Taste a little of the summer.
Taste a little of the summer.
Grandma put it all in jars.

Oh, she got magic in her, you know what I mean.
She puts the sun and rain in with her beans.

There's peaches on the shelf, potatoes in the bin.
Supper's ready, everybody come on in.
Taste a little of the summer.
Taste a little of the summer.
Taste a little of the summer.
Grandma put it all in jars.

What with the snow and the economy and everything,
I think I'll just stay down here and eat until spring.

There's peaches on the shelf, potatoes in the bin.
Supper's ready, everybody come on in.
Taste a little of the summer.
Taste a little of the summer.
Taste a little of the summer.
Grandma put it all in jars.

When I go down to see Grandma, I gain a lot a weight.
With her dear hands, she gives me plate after plate.

She cans the pickles, sweet and dill,
And the songs of the whip-or-will,
And the morning dew and the evening moon,
I really gotta go down and see her soon.

'Cause the canned goods that I buy at the store
Ain't got the summer in 'em anymore.
You bet, Grandma, as sure as you're born,
I'll take some more potatoes and a thunderstorm.
There's peaches on the shelf, potatoes in the bin.
Supper's ready, everybody come on in.
Taste a little of the summer.
Taste a little of the summer.
Taste a little of the summer.
Grandma put it all in jars.

[As sung by Greg Brown on "One Night" (1983), "One More Goodnight Kiss" (1988),
and "The Live One" (1995).]

You may hear a bit:Canned Goods.

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to tell you that Greg Brown is performing here in Lincoln (I think this weekend). I doubt we'll go. I like his music well enough, but Rod doesn't really care for folk music, so I won't push. He would go if it were someone I really loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a real fan, Les, but I love this song.

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.