Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Today's poem - September, 1815 by William Wordsworth


September, 1815
by William Wordsworth

While not a leaf seems faded; while the fields,
With ripening harvest prodigally fair,
In brightest sunshine bask; this nipping air,
Sent from some distant clime where Winter wields
His icy scimitar, a foretaste yields
Of bitter change, and bids the flowers beware;
And whispers to the silent birds, "Prepare
Against the threatening foe your trustiest shields."
For me, who under kindlier laws belong
To Nature's tuneful quire, this rustling dry
Through leaves yet green, and yon crystalline sky,
Announce a season potent to renew,
'Mid frost and snow, the instinctive joys of song,
And nobler cares than listless summer knew.

5 comments:

  1. I love every single line of this poem! Perfect for the first day of Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you for that. It is a really lovely poem; one I would love to learn, rehearse and orate somewhere, sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only we'd had a listless summer to look back on!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely poem-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Alison. I do love Wordsworth.

    Webster, I remember in the book Anne of Green Gables there was some kind of community gathering when people did just that.

    Rattling On, all it takes is a couple hot days and I'm listless and ready for cool weather. :<)

    Sherri, and I thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.