Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Potato Pancakes - Two

Potato Pancakes - Two

This is Gladys Taber's recipe from Stillmeadow Kitchen. Even though the photo is blurry, isn't Gladys just adorable?!


Peel 2 cups (2 good-sized russets) potatoes and soak at least one hour in cold water.
Grate the drained potatoes.
Beat 2 eggs well.
Add a little pepper.
Mix in:
1 Tablespoon flour
1/1/2 teaspoons salt
pinch of baking powder
Add the grated potatoes.

Drop by tablespoonfuls on hot, well-greased griddle.

So, let's see, what are the differences between Gladys' and Potato Pancakes - One:
The biggest change is no onions. It was hard for me to not add them since I think that onion taste is what makes them so wonderful, but then I thought of the Boxty I made on St. Patrick's Day, and remembered it was delicious without onions.

Same amount of potatoes as PP-1 but they are soaked before grating. I didn't notice any difference from soaking, so probably wouldn't bother next time.
Pepper added.
One Tablespoon less flour.
1/2 teaspoon more salt.
and a little baking powder.

I was concerned they would be more egg-y because of half the flour. And they were. The egg ran out while they was cooking.


So another time I would double the flour to 2 T. just like yesterday's pancakes. The taste was very good, but not quite as good as 'One.' Tom agreed.

And I wondered what the baking powder would do to the taste and the way they looked. I didn't notice a bit of difference.

Although I'm sure Gladys used butter to grease her griddle, I again used cooking spray. You can see that the finished pancake is lighter than yesterday's version. That is due to the egg/flour ratio.


I'm really enjoying this little cooking experiment, and am looking forward to tomorrow's pancakes.

11 comments:

  1. You know how I love her! And humour is evident in her expressions!
    I have this cook book but haven't made these...
    Thanks for sharing Nan!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say:
    Fabulous header...is that taken at your place?
    So much mood in that photo!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying your potato pancake experiment from afar and feeling the urge to make some. Of course, you already know how I feel about Gladys Taber, and this is one of her books I do not yet have, and I did love to see the picture.

    Can't wait to see what batter #3 is like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying your cooking experiment, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's it, I'm coming for supper :)
    Have a wonderful day
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanne, she does have a twinkle, doesn't she?! I took the photo out the window by my desk on a very rainy day. Finally, today is sunny, but I think I'll keep it up a while - 'april showers!' Thanks for your kind words.

    Penny, I don't own the book. I must have written down the recipe years ago when I borrowed it from the library. Thanks.

    Kay, thanks.

    Niki, that would be so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I no longer make potato 'anythings' because my husband's diet prohibits potatoes. However, I really am enjoying these posts and had to share a wonderful find I made last week at the library's sale of old and donated books....

    Gladys Taber's STILLMEADOW SAMPLER, 1959 edition. It is happily snugged on the shelf beside my old and treasured STILLMEADOW AND SUGARBRIDGE.

    And, yes, she does look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Jill, I feel so badly for your husband. Can you eat them when he's not around, or don't you care that much? I simply could not live without them. Tom says they are in my DNA. :<) Lucky you to find the book! I love S&S. I have so many words from it that I jotted down in my quotes book. Some of them have made their way here in quotes du jour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really enjoying your experiment, too! Looking forward to the next recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, lovely Gladys photo! I think I would prefer onions in as well, because they smell so delicous when cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, JoAnn! Next installment is up, with a new one on tap for Thursday. :<)

    Clair, I will often cook up some chopped onions in olive oil/butter, and they smell fantastic, and are one of my favorite foods. I was tickled to come across that shot of Gladys. I'd not seen it before.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.