Thursday, March 17, 2011

Boxty on St. Patrick's Day


On this St. Patrick's Day, I made Boxty for the first time. It is a bit like potato pancakes, only there are both grated potatoes and mashed potatoes. I mashed them without adding milk or butter. There also isn't any grated onion, but I might try that another time.


1 1/2 cups grated raw potatoes
1 cup flour
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 egg
1 T. milk


Toss the grated potatoes with flour in a large bowl.
Stir in the mashed potatoes until combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the milk, and then mix with potatoes.

Cook on a griddle, or electric fry pan, or a skillet on the stove. You may use olive oil, cooking spray, or a combination of both.
Form patties about 2 inches in diameter.
Fry on both sides until golden brown.


I topped mine with a bit of sour cream and applesauce. Being Irish myself, there's nothing I like better than potatoes and this made for a perfect supper. Very different in taste and texture from potato pancakes. You may read more about Boxty here.

4 comments:

  1. This looks exactly like my kind of meal! I love spuds, too - although I am not Irish, only my surname is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made them, but you're making me want to try. I'll definitely throw in the onion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tinky, I might use onion the next time too, just to see what I think.

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.