Thursday, March 17, 2011

Boxty on St. Patrick's Day


On this St. Patrick's Day, I made Boxty for the first time. It is a bit like potato pancakes, only there are both grated potatoes and mashed potatoes. I mashed them without adding milk or butter. There also isn't any grated onion, but I might try that another time.


1 1/2 cups grated raw potatoes
1 cup flour
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 egg
1 T. milk


Toss the grated potatoes with flour in a large bowl.
Stir in the mashed potatoes until combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the milk, and then mix with potatoes.

Cook on a griddle, or electric fry pan, or a skillet on the stove. You may use olive oil, cooking spray, or a combination of both.
Form patties about 2 inches in diameter.
Fry on both sides until golden brown.


I topped mine with a bit of sour cream and applesauce. Being Irish myself, there's nothing I like better than potatoes and this made for a perfect supper. Very different in taste and texture from potato pancakes. You may read more about Boxty here.

4 comments:

  1. This looks exactly like my kind of meal! I love spuds, too - although I am not Irish, only my surname is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made them, but you're making me want to try. I'll definitely throw in the onion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tinky, I might use onion the next time too, just to see what I think.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.