Friday, March 27, 2009

Ghiradelli Classic Brownies

One of the many great features of our new stove we got last fall is a melt temperature on one burner. I love it because one, I don't have a microwave, and two, I don't have to pay any attention. The melting happens slowly and gently without any burning.

From this:
To this:

Last weekend our daughter's boyfriend helped Tom move a ceiling light in the kitchen and install these new lights over the kitchen table.


He wouldn't take any money and said all he wanted was brownies, so today I made him some. It is a new-to-me recipe from the Ghiradelli Semi-Sweet 4 oz chocolate baking bar. And of course they are called:

Ghiradelli Classic Brownies

Preheat oven to 350º F.
Grease an 8 x 8 pan
Melt together 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter with one 4 oz chocolate baking bar
Cool
Stir in 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla
Add 2 lightly beaten eggs

In a separate bowl, mix:
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add to butter mixture and stir well.
Stir in 1/3 cup chocolate chips.
Pour batter into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.

Of course I couldn't give them to him without making sure they were good, so I had a brownie and it is chewy, chocolatey, and delicious.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Nan: Oh my but these look good, I just might have to try my hand at a batch. I love your light fixture, just this week, my Daughter and I saw a single one the very same, and I wished I could have gotten it, but sadly no place to hang it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan
    This is in response to your last post.
    There was a time when I started a book ,even when it didn't capture my interest, that I would finish it, no matter what.
    But now, as soon as I realize I am not connecting with the plot, or the characters, I do not finish.
    I pass the book on to a friend, or give it to our local thrift store,etc.
    I enjoyed your post and appreciated the fact that you share with us that the reading of Welty wasn't working and you decided to stop.
    This is real life and this is the way it is.
    I enjoyed the post so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm.... those brownies look delicious! What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I'll be right over. : }

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow - delicious! I love brownies and those look just scrumptious.

    I also love your new sheep photo - is she one of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, it wasn't at Lowe's was it? They have some gorgeous, gorgeous shades and a little light bulb you can try them on to see if you like the glow. I'm all about ambience, and for years I haven't liked the big white regular kitchen light above the table. It just felt too glaring. Now it is so cozy.

    Mim, thank you so much for taking the time to write this. It pleased me immensely.

    Jo, Kay, Mindy, and Paula, I'd love to hear from you if you make the recipe! And yes, Paula that fellow is our ram (wether). We have six in all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm - those look so good! I love brownies.

    A melt feature - never heard of that. It's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those lights, Nan!! I need something new in our dining room and kitchen. May have to plan a visit to Lowes.

    Tell me more about the brownies. Unsalted butter? What type of chocolate chips? I know you said the baking bar is Semi-Sweet chocolate. I'll have to make these very soon! They'd be great with vanilla ice cream on top. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the brownies. And love the melt feature on your stove. This is my first visit but I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those brownies sure do look good! I love the light fixture! I also love your header picture. It brought back memories of our sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you island sparrow, Les, Martha, and Sherri. They were great brownies. Les, I never use unsalted butter, though recipes always call for it. The bar was semi-sweet but the chips were bittersweet. You could use any combo and they'd be great!

    I wish the lights came through in photos better. They are just lovely and not that expensive either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nan, My helper helped me make again last night
    So good and easy
    maybe will help me gain my 10 lbs lost since heart attacl 7 weeks ago. Love your recipes

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.